Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

Default New puppy need crate help

It's been a long time since i've been here and now there's a new family member. He's a 10 week olf lab pup. He's been challenging when it comes to the crate and i could really use advice before I rip all my hair out. LOL. I haven't slept in days and i'm very tired and worn out. I've had him about a week and so far things are ok. he's going potty outside about 75% of the time. crate training has been going good except for at night. he howls and whines and just doesn't calm down. during the day he will nap in the crate and play with his toys and bones in there. at night, totally different.

He's got a blanket and his toys and bones in there. it's in the living room so he can still be with people and not secluded. He doesn't touch his toys or anything at night. he whines and cries for hours and hours. he just won't calm down. i do take him potty in the middle of the night and he goes right back in the crate and continues howling. I put a sheet over the crate except for the door and that made it alot worse. school is starting up in a few days and we need to sleep at night. I need advice on what I can do to try to stop this behaivor.

The person i got him from got him very young at 6 weeks. since then he has slept in bed with her and she got up every few hours in the night with a baby so she was taking him outside as well. she rehomed him because her husband said she could not keep him. He's very sweet and smart. Will post a picture if i can remember how to.

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Top Dog

Laura
Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Try putting the crate in your bedroom with you. Most puppies don't like being secluded from their family while they're sleeping, especially ones that are used to being with the family all day (with the crate in the living room) and used to sleeping in bed with their previous owners.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Resident fainting goat

i wish there was an easier solution.. but really, ANYTHING you do towards him (good or bad attention) will teach him that the whining/barking is working.
You've done all I would normally suggest.. perhaps a frozen kong? putting the crate in the room with you?

Wax earplugs is unfortunately my best advice.

A LOT of puppies go through this.. hang in there.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

My bedroom just isn't big enough to put the crate in there. I thought of that too. I tried a puppy kong with frozen peanut butter in it. he has no interest in it.

Laura
Old 08-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Felurian

A big part of it is being taken away from his litter so young, and then sleeping with the previous owner.

I'm not sure what there is, except to be consistent and maybe freeze a kong with something better than peanut butter, maybe some sort of meat puree? Feed him turkey at night?

OH! Try using Rescue Remedy!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
A big part of it is being taken away from his litter so young, and then sleeping with the previous owner.

I'm not sure what there is, except to be consistent and maybe freeze a kong with something better than peanut butter, maybe some sort of meat puree? Feed him turkey at night?

OH! Try using Rescue Remedy!
Thank you Renee. I will have to give the rescue remedy a try.

Laura
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Felurian

He is ridiculously sweet looking!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Love my pets

What a cutie.

I sure wish you could get a crate in your bedroom because that really helps.

I'm wondering if you change to the vari kennel instead of the wire crate. One of our dogs cried, but as soon as we put him in a vari kennel he stopped. He just didn't like the wire crate. My friend had the same problem so I loaned her our vari kennel & it worked.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
He is ridiculously sweet looking!
Thanks! He really is sweet.

Laura