Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
PlottMom's Avatar
PlottMom PlottMom is offline
The Littlest Hound
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
that's because good breeders WORK the crap out of their dog and run them year round. ideally the dogs are running 30+ miles a week. that amount of running will ID bad joints before a dog is finished and breed worthy. because the old timers culled hard, dysplaysia of any kind is pretty much nonexistant in stags, coldblood greys & working lines of foxhound and only marginally more common in hard hunted lines of tree hound & curs. the need to x-ray for it is about like the need to check APBTs for von wilbrands.
See, I don't necessarily trust that... I think a dog that's worked that hard & is as muscular as they can be, and as gritty as a Plott SHOULD be, would probably just work through it....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post

never hesitate to name a good breeder too & WHY you like them. the best breeders don't advertise because their reputation is good enough to keep their programs going w/o it.
I LOVE KELLIE & DANIELLE HANEY, AND REX MORGAN, TOO! lol

Because they're honest, good people... Kellie & Danielle have great dogs that can win hunts, and Kellie's owned Dawn since she was like 14 and made her a grand nite, grand show, and put her #1 on the reproducer's list by making GOOD crosses that produced COONDOGS. Rex has really helped their breeding program, and I admire his (sometimes painful ) honesty & dedication to the breed - a sub-par dog will not be at his house for long.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
but how do the show dogs hunt? the insinuation is that they don't.
Didn't mean to insinuate it - one of their foundation sires is a NiteCh, and I know they hunted his son up until they realized how valuable he was as a show dog - at that point, as Becky said, they just couldn't risk it. I know her husband still hunts some of their dogs... I didn't mean to insinuate they don't hunt at all, but you won't see them in the winner's circle at nite hunts. Just not their "thing"... ergo, I *assume* it helps to produce a calmer hound... I wouldn't mind having a calm, hunting dog - Eer was pretty well settled any time there wasn't a coon around.
__________________
Katie

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Red Chrome's Avatar
Red Chrome Red Chrome is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default

GSDs-Von Den Wannaer Hohen, Von Grunheide,SxhraderhausK9 and of course my boys breeder. For me and GSDs it's a line thing.

Malinois-Dantero

Dobermann-Feverhaus and Incredible Dobermans
__________________
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus-OFA H/E DM Free CGC DDJ RN BH
WBBs BleauChrome Lady of TheCopa-CGC STARR Naughty RockStar
The BlackChrome Executioner VonMarionHaus-Puppy Terrorist
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

What a dangerous thread... lol I'm teasing. I don't like a lot of big names for the fact people often lose their roots. I don't know who I like best.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
See, I don't necessarily trust that... I think a dog that's worked that hard & is as muscular as they can be, and as gritty as a Plott SHOULD be, would probably just work through it...
there is some truth to that but when you're walking dogs out back to the truck you'll see the effects of hard running. wild canines don't RUN alot when they hunt maybe 10 miles a week. so if you hunt a dog hard enough to run 30+ miles a week AND they're dysplastic it'll show by age 3. coincidentally most of the best hunting breeders (woods hunters not competition) tend to wait until 3 or 4 to breed. a dog that produces a LOT & survives that long on bear & boar is in the best 10%. 30 miles a week is the minimum for hard hunting dogs. i knof of many that do that daily 4 or 6 days a week in season & a couple days a week in the off season. i know of hog doggers whose dogs put in 20-30 miles a day 3-5 days a week year round. dogs doing that can only gut it out so long before it shows no matter what.





Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
Because they're honest, good people... Kellie & Danielle have great dogs that can win hunts, and Kellie's owned Dawn since she was like 14 and made her a grand nite, grand show, and put her #1 on the reproducer's list by making GOOD crosses that produced COONDOGS. Rex has really helped their breeding program, and I admire his (sometimes painful ) honesty & dedication to the breed - a sub-par dog will not be at his house for long..
that is the way all working breeders are (at least as far as breeding stock goes). unfortunately, a lot of show stock in alot of breeds started from sub par workers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
Didn't mean to insinuate it - one of their foundation sires is a NiteCh, and I know they hunted his son up until they realized how valuable he was as a show dog - at that point, as Becky said, they just couldn't risk it. I know her husband still hunts some of their dogs... I didn't mean to insinuate they don't hunt at all, but you won't see them in the winner's circle at nite hunts. Just not their "thing"... ergo, I *assume* it helps to produce a calmer hound... I wouldn't mind having a calm, hunting dog - Eer was pretty well settled any time there wasn't a coon around.
glad to hear that. but as a working snob, i could never see buying from them myself. i just can't be comfortable w/ a breeder whose primary focus is ribbons (at least w/ most breeds i'm likely to buy).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Red Chrome's Avatar
Red Chrome Red Chrome is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default

You're very right Adrianne.
__________________
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus-OFA H/E DM Free CGC DDJ RN BH
WBBs BleauChrome Lady of TheCopa-CGC STARR Naughty RockStar
The BlackChrome Executioner VonMarionHaus-Puppy Terrorist
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,067
Default

double post
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 AM
PlottMom's Avatar
PlottMom PlottMom is offline
The Littlest Hound
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post

glad to hear that. but as a working snob, i could never see buying from them myself. i just can't be comfortable w/ a breeder whose primary focus is ribbons (at least w/ most breeds i'm likely to buy).
totally get where you're coming from... I just meant if I want another lazy housedog, I'd be perfectly happy with a lower key, very dark dog I could neuter & make a housepet if I can't find anywhere to hunt... unfortunately I'm not finding the coonhunting in SoCal quite as abundant as it was in PA
__________________
Katie

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 AM
OwnedByBCs's Avatar
OwnedByBCs OwnedByBCs is offline
Will Creep For Sheep
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 588
Default

In BCs I like Rosmarinus (I am dying to get a dog from them someday), Gladwyn, Littlethorn, Lydeardlea, Whenway (although the haven't bred in a long time), Bron Yr Aur, Of Green Borderline, Jijin.. I think that's pretty much my list. Lol.

I like them all for the same reason- they breed true to type (in all aspects).
__________________

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
totally get where you're coming from... I just meant if I want another lazy housedog, I'd be perfectly happy with a lower key, very dark dog I could neuter & make a housepet if I can't find anywhere to hunt... unfortunately I'm not finding the coonhunting in SoCal quite as abundant as it was in PA
try getting them on grey fox. they'll run the legs off a dog & then tree at the end of it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 PM
monkeys23's Avatar
monkeys23 monkeys23 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,464
Default

Malinois - Dantero.

GSD - I keep going back to looking at Schraderhaus dogs. I'd like to meet some in person at some point in time!
Though i have to say the sporty 22 month old male named Buddy that von Grunheide has for sale currently is gorgeous and sounds like a hell of a fun starter sport dog...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site