Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Blackout

A snapshot or two of the body for personal reasons of comfort if one is comforted by that sort of thing I can understand. But full out photo-ops with family members and people POSING with the corpse? I'm sorry - I find it really vulgar, distasteful, disrespectful, and truly grotesque (who am I to say what is grotesque though after I just posted about liking to chew scabs though...?). My grandmother whom I wrote about in my latest post on my blog was subject to such photo shoots at her funeral...it was open casket - and there was a come-one-come-all body viewing the previous evening. I made it clear I was unhappy with it - and Lord knows grandma wouldn't have been happy about it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's in my neck of the woods It backs up to a parcel of property the Knox County Sheriff's Dept. uses as a recreational/training facility that Sheriff Buck (not his name, he got tagged with that after the American Gothic series) set up. There's been a lot of speculation as to how many odd bodies came in from the other side of the fence.

StephyMei summed up my feelings on it too. I want to slap people at funerals who photograph the body. Seriously? WTF???
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I have no issue with photographing a dead body, nor posing with it. Cultures are weird and varied, even when I don't understand.

The body farm is a research facility having to do with the decomposition of bodies.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Felurian

There were people who came into my grandfather's funeral who didn't even know him -- and they took photos! I was seething. He would have run them out -- at gunpoint if necessary, and none of his children said a word, I had to tell them to leave. And I took their film.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Ah, funerals and talking about my and my families wishes are probably talked about daily. My boyfriend and I, both funeral directors, keep an open dialog about it. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious but you have to have some sort of sense of humor when dealing with sadness and loss on a daily basis. I think I'd rather be buried.

There is value with laying a body out for visitation. We even have visitations without embalming (dry ice, visitation within 24 hours) and there are new , less invasive techniques being used. Embalming doesn't have to be the scary, surgical, preserve for 1000 years process anymore. We tell families that it's an IV of water, some dye and enough preservative to halt any decomp processes for a few days but leaves the body very natural.

Cremation can also take place after services are held. And at our funeral home we treat cremation & burial exactly the same -- we set appointment times for both and invite families to go to the crematory and cemetery. We eventually would like to have a crematory that we can go in procession to, as over half of all people are choosing cremation and it adds that element of taking and carrying your loved one to that final place.

I have yet to witness photo shoots with the dead, but there are some people that do take pictures. We have people asking us all the time if it's appropriate (they want to but don't want to look morbid).

None of the options are great - cremation, donation, burial or entombment. They all have pros and cons. In the end, the dead don't care & it's up to the survivors to choose what they need to do. Even with organ donation & cremation you have to have your next of kin's permission even if you've written down your wishes.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

My brother says he wants us to tote his body around like weekend at Bernie's lol
Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

This documentary affected me pretty badly. They toted this childs body around for days!!

www.abc.net.au/tv/layla/default.htm

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/