Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

For me it's more about small changes vs. a lifestyle overhaul - that would be too extreme for me.

What did work (but is expensive) is the isagenix program, shakes/bars (that are loaded with vitamins), drinks too and then a simple dinner. The key though is every week you have one day where you just have their drinks and not much else, so your average calories are really low. You don't feel bad though because you're taking in a ton of vitamins and such. I just can't afford the $300 a month for that stuff though.

Right now I'm doing a modified thing, eating within reason, and on work days I have coffee, bring an apple or a fiber bar and slam back lots of tea and water. I come home and have a small dinner and that's it. Also taking vitamins (b complex) and some other supplements and it seems to be going ok.

I still have chocolate, cookies and such but I'm more aware and do like one oreo instead of six. If I can. Had one of those days so chocolate will be required..
Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I had my thyroid checked at my last physical about a year ago. Due for another full on checkup. Don't have health insurance currently since I just turned 26 and lost it which I'm stupid for not getting a checkup done before my birthday. There are places around here that are relatively affordable out of pocket though so I definitely need to have a checkup.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

Adrenal fatigue is a big issue, especially if stressed....check out stopthethyroidmadness.com for info on that AND thyroid stuff.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm All Ears

I haven't gained in a long time but am struggling to lose. It's rough for sure and I have hormone problems on top of that that make things more difficult.

But yeah, I am overweight and it sucks. Been walking a lot more lately and have a gym membership. I go in spurts- will work out for weeks in a row then stop for weeks and blah.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Taxiderpy

Are you guys still trying to eat gluten free? People always ask me how I'm this thin after two kids and I just tell them to try being allergic to food.

If you find that you're a boredom eater, try keeping something small and snacky with you at all times. Like sunflower seeds, or even better, pumpkin seeds. They're not just filler, they're high protein and have a lot of vitamins and minerals your body needs. If you feel like stopping in for a donut, shove a handful in your mouth and keep walking by. lol.

I make up weird arbitrary rules too. Like, if I'm eating seeds or nuts of any kind, they must be chewed to a smooth paste before swallowing.

And drink lots of water!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I've been making dinners in bulk and freezing them, then I'm waaaay less likely to pick something up. Even if the dinner isn't super healthy, at least it's portioned correctly and not overly processed.

Even though they contain a lot of sugar, I eat a banana every morning (usually with oatmeal or something like that) and that takes care of my sweet tooth so that I'm not tempted to stop for donuts!! Plus bananas are super cheap!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Also I just made an account at MyFitnessPal, SO COOL!!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Twin 2

I'm in the process of trying to get healthy. Weight loss would be nice and has been happening slowly but it's not my main motivator.

One day I was sitting eating a McMuffin for breakfast for the second time in a week and just thought to myself how gross that is. So, I started adding more vegetables to everything I ate and made a few veggie/fruit smoothies. Noticed my low grade to migraine level headaches I would get almost daily have gone down to a bad migraine maybe once every two weeks.

Then I decided to try and make my food rather than by it. Not cut out the things I love like eggs and Macaroni but instead stop eating everything from a box. I made super delicious baked Mac and cheese the other night using greek yogurt. I made a lot of hardboiled eggs to keep in the fridge for those times I want to eat something but I'm not starving.

I was hitting shark week last week so I made a super rich peanut butter fudge cake bar thing instead of getting the store bought cookies. I could eat ten store bought cookies but a small slice of that home made desert was enough.

I've started to really try to figure out when I'm hungry and when I'm bored. I've tried to find things I really enjoy, are easy to make and are good for me. Like Sweet Potato fries or carrot fries. I bake them all and they are SO good. I also make a lot of wraps and try to have protein in every meal.

I count calories on and off, I tend to have trouble doing it when I'm making all my food but I try to do it every couple days just to have an idea of how much I'm eating. I have almost a harder time eating enough each day rather than too much when I'm paying attention.

But one of the biggest things that's helped me is not feeling guilty or ragging on myself if I eat something not good for me or more than I should. I can't live like that and I'll end up not keeping this up. I'm trying to make it a life rather than a diet. I'm trying to train myself how to eat a varied and healthy diet and that won't happen if I think about it as a diet or as something I need to do to get to a certain point or if I beat myself up when I don't have a spot on day.

One of the biggest issues I have is laziness. It's so much easier to get home and make a box of Max and Cheese instead of bark some chicken. But I feel better and fuller after the Chicken. I also try to always make enough for leftovers.

Pinterest has been great for food, some awesome creative ideas and keeps me motivated or brings me out of my funk.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

I'm with you... it's not easy. And I love eating, which really doesn't help. And I can't find time to exercise (should change soon with the kids in school though). Not sure about motivation though...
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Twin 2.0

The things that have really spurred me on has been Pintrest (recipes and pictures of what I want to look like along with the workouts) and then getting on Evolv84. Or you could try Isagenix, Vemma, whatever. Something that is structured and has a built-in support system is good. I like Evolv84 because the shakes taste good and aren't straight whey and they give you a custom-built exercise program.

You can do it!