Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Ian is uncommon? I've always had one or two Ian's in my class. I taught 1 this past year too (which is crazy, since only about 5% of my kids had traditional "American" names).

My name is Karen, which I thought was perfect (not the name, necessarily, but the commonality of it). There was never more than 1 other Karen in my grade, but EVERYONE knows the name and knows how to spell it. My sister Diane is the same way. Both names were popular about 30 years before we were born, so they are familiar but not common.

Maybe that's what I like--familiar names. I don't like names that I don't recognize immediately as being names!
Ian ranks as name #72 in 2011 with SSA. The name Parker (one of our possible names) is #79. I've never met a Parker, and I've only known one other Ian while I was in school.

It's horrible when he tells someone his name, or if we order food and they try to "read" the name. He's gotten everything from "Eon," "eye-on", "Ivan," "Ann"... and then has to correct them.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Love My Mutt <3

LOL Ann? Poor Ian...

(though now I'm wondering if I've been saying his name wrong around y'all )

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
I'd rather be at Disney

I am guessing Jer-odd (jer pronounced like her). I assume because my neighbor is Jerron and I thought he said jerod with that same pronounciation.

My name (Tanya) was failty common when i was in school. In 7th grsde there were three of us but I never felt like less of an individual because i had the same name. My identity is not wrapped up in my name for me, it's my personality that makes me who I am and an individual.

Hannah is a very common name but I also find it to be such a beautiful name. Then her middle name is marie (just like mine) so she has a pretty generic name I suppose but with her personality she likely won't ever be "just another hannah"

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Chihuahua Power!

Marlie ranks as 893, Nora is at 137, Summer is 173, and Ryland is 453. I figured that Ryland and Marlie were very uncommon! lol. I don't think they're unusual names, though.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
LOL Ann? Poor Ian...

(though now I'm wondering if I've been saying his name wrong around y'all )
You've been saying it right lol. E-in. lol.

Yep, people have been like "Ann?" Haha. I get so frustrated when I call in for takeout, or do an online order and put his name. Rarely do they say or spell it correctly!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I am guessing Jer-odd (jer pronounced like her). I assume because my neighbor is Jerron and I thought he said jerod with that same pronounciation.
Good deal! I'll have to tell him someone out there had the right guess.

I always liked the name Hannah, too.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post

My name (Tanya) was failty common when i was in school. In 7th grsde there were three of us but I never felt like less of an individual because i had the same name. My identity is not wrapped up in my name for me, it's my personality that makes me who I am and an individual.

Hannah is a very common name but I also find it to be such a beautiful name. Then her middle name is marie (just like mine) so she has a pretty generic name I suppose but with her personality she likely won't ever be "just another hannah"
Yah.. it definitely wasn't me that was "just another Jessica" in my mind, it was when around other people, being referred to as "one of the Jessicas". Unless my parents sheltered me completely, it was going to happen, cause I was going to meet people who would do it.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Ian ranks as name #72 in 2011 with SSA. The name Parker (one of our possible names) is #79. I've never met a Parker, and I've only known one other Ian while I was in school.

It's horrible when he tells someone his name, or if we order food and they try to "read" the name. He's gotten everything from "Eon," "eye-on", "Ivan," "Ann"... and then has to correct them.
Ehh, I attribute that more to difficulty processing names than anything else. My Starbucks order always says "Carrie" or "Kara", and Zach's is always "Jack" without fail. Which is funny, because he is the least "Jack" like person there is.

Was Ian ever more popular? I think that would be an interesting thing to look at. I would bet that one day Jessica will probably drop down to the 70's on the SSA's list, but no one's going to find it uncommon for a very long time, since so many people from previous generations are named that. It's like, I don't know anyone named Linda under 40 years old, but I'd never call that name unique, even though naming a baby today Linda would definitely make her the only one in school.

I worked with two Parkers, both girls. It's funny how those androgynous names tend to be very strongly associated boy/girl in my head! I can't picture Parker as a boy's name, even though I know logically it can be. I had both a girl and a boy Jordan in the same period last year--that was a trip.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Chihuahua Power!

My sister has a really unpopular name, apparently! It's Kerri, which was last ranked at 974 in 1998! The spelling Kerry was last ranked at 973 in 2003.

I thought it was more common than that!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Ehh, I attribute that more to difficulty processing names than anything else. My Starbucks order always says "Carrie" or "Kara", and Zach's is always "Jack" without fail. Which is funny, because he is the least "Jack" like person there is.
See? Just like that.