Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Felurian

Rose'sGal, that's a good list. And it made me think, too, Crazydog: maybe you could look into adopting a retired racing dog like a whippet or one of the greyhounds. They need to be exercised in an enclosed area, but other than that they just love to lounge quietly around the house and stay right next to you.

Terriers are wonderful dogs and I just love them, but they can be a real handful! Somehow I doubt that Crazydog's mom would be terribly inclined toward dealing with one. BUT . . . if you look to adopt an adult dog it might not be that much of an issue. They're incredibly smart and once they're adults figure out very quickly what they need to do to keep their lives comfy.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Andy

is there even dog under this description: a short haired one so it doesnt get dirty as easily if its rolls in the lawn and that it wont get poo stuck on its bottom hair so often; but long enough so its cuddly and nice to lay with. haha i know it cant be both long and short but anyways i want a medium sized dog. my mom wouldnt allow a big dog in and i dont want a small dog. i seem a little picky, well ALOT, but im just trying to fidn the perfect one. i really like how the malteses are so cute but its long haired. and a greyhound is too big for my mom to accept. im still thinking about the chihuahua. i might be albe to go to the shelter soon so ill tell you about the dogs there. so do you recommend a puppy or a dog. will dogs look as "cute" as puppies?? anyways ill tell you how it works out

and also just call my francis or franky or andy, CD was just a name i had to make up to ask an urgent question about roxy but then i ended up beign addicted to this site.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Are you dead yet?

Hmm.. I know your mom wants a short-coated breed, but have you considered a Papillon? They are very small and affectionate, they act more like bigger dogs than small dogs. The thing with them is that they have longer coats than what you're looking for, and they aren't hypoallergenic. (unless you get a Poodle, Bichon or Coton de Tulear, there aren't hypoallergenic dogs)

They are a single-coated breed, (only one layer of hair, no 'undercoat') and they are not fluffy-puffy like a pomeranian, but instead they have fine silky hair. They're a lower maintenance breed, you do have to comb their ear fringe anywhere from every day to once a week. (if they have so much fringe that it mats easily, sometimes having a groomer thin it is helpful) If they have an abundant coat (My Papillon has a shorter coat on his body than most paps, but very long hair on his ears and tail) they should be brushed every day or two to prevent any mats.

Just something to consider. They're cool little dogs.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Felurian

Definitely a good breed to consider, Rip's!

The reason I suggested looking at the Whippets is because they are considerably smaller than a Greyhound, as is an Italian Greyhound, and although I really don't consider a Greyhound a large dog, I'm sure your Mom (and lots of other people too) would. But then, compared to my Monsters . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Andy

yeah i remember looking at papillions. they look really awesome but i really dont think i will cross over one in our animal shelter or any breeders around here. ive never seen a papillion in real life. but ill still look into them. do they get that doggy odor easily? somehow after we gave roxy a bath, about a week later, she started to smell really bad. the dog odor smell. she is inside 24/7 so i dont know how it happens. and also what is this double and single coat thing? ive been thinking about that for a while.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Since your mom has allergies a poodle (in any of the sizes) would be great. They are very intelligent and train very easily. I have 2 standards - my female is about 48 lbs and my male is about 62 lbs. I do not keep them in any of the typical poodle clips - they look & act like "regular" dogs. They are very entertaining and they love to cuddle. They don't shed but they do need to be clipped about every 8 wks or so but with the short clip like mine have many people do it themselves instead of bringing them to a groomer.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Andy

yeah but the thing is my mom doesnt like poodles. thats what i dont get about her. i think of a dog as a friend, a companion, just a human being in a different form. well, for my mom, if its ugly, its not going in the house. if it pees in a wrong place, its out. if it has any kind of hair that she doesnt like, its staying 20 feet away from her. its either "shes too ugly" or "shes no trained" or "i dont like how her hair is". i tried to talk her into getting me a poodle after i saw them om animal planet and she said she would rather get me a rottweiler. when i asked why she says it looks disgusting with its curly hair and how it has a rep with only the balls of hair on its feet, its tail, etc. it dont really matter to me, as long as i get a nice, cuddly, protective dog then im happy. its not like my mom ever does anything for the dogs. but, after she saw how cute roxy can get (she gets on her hind legs and does a funny jump and jumps all aroudn the house on her hind legs when someone comes home. its funny and cute) she decided that she wanted to get closer with her so she helped along by taking her out to use the bathroom, filling up her food bowls, and helping me clean up after her. so do you think i will ever find a maltese that will look like roxy?

EDIT: i found a breeder. it happens she has a website. do you think they seem like good breeders? http://www.royalacreskennel.com/index.html

Last edited by crazydog; 12-17-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Felurian

Too many dogs, too many different kinds. And there's no mention of bloodlines or any other indication of attention to the genetic fitness of the parents. And yet they are charging legitimate breeder prices for their dogs!

And then there's the issue of the "Malti-Poos" . . .

Truthfully, I think I'd stay away from them.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-18-2004, 04:50 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I agree with Renee. There are no pedigrees, no statements saying what health tests they do for the dam and sire, and I presume they don't even register with the AKC or UKC.

Even better, they list their business hours... Breeders don't have "business hours."

Another thing, they list one of their Pekingnese(? I guess that's what she's supposed to be) as retired. Retired from breeding??

But just the listing of the number of breeds they "breed," or in other words mass produce, would send me running.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Andy

yeah i was thinking the same too. with all of those puppies and the whole business hours thing, got me thinking shes got a puppy mill. yeah i talked to my mom and she said shell bring me to the animal shelter tomorrow if she gets the chance. finally ill get the chance to look around for different dogs. shes staying outside in teh car though because it really smells in there and the last time i went (which was a long time ago) i got scared and went home becuase there were big german sheperds and alaskan malamutes barking at me with their big loud barks. but this time i hope ill find a good puppy. im not going to get one until next summer though because thats when ill have time for the dog, but the trip to the shelter will at least help me think about a breed and to go home and do some research on it.