Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Blackout

Default Am I the only person...

That can't wait for my puppy to *not* be a puppy anymore?

On one hand I love being a puppy owner/companion - the training, molding, learning, shaping, and whole experience is very rewarding and great.

But on the other - I DON'T enjoy the insolence, immaturity, bounciness (can get incredibly annoying), and lack of composure. I know, I know...lots of folks dogs still have all that and more well into their later years - but I'm just saying. Puppies are...great yet nerve wracking at the same time.

Katalin just isn't behaving this month - the August heat, her heat, and her period of pre teen flakiness/insolence is just a f*cking horrible combo. She does things she knows she's going to get in trouble for then tries to guilt trip me when I put her into time outs/give her a correction for it - totally PMSing - it is completely untypical of her. Grrrrr....we shall get thru this.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Top Dog

I'm in the opposite state of mind now! My girls just turned two and suddenly toys are not nearly as appealing, sleeping is the preferred way to pass time and other dogs are meant for sitting watching, not playing with

Luckily my one girl Trin, will always be something of a goof ball I think. Robyn is fast heading into elegant lady territory.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

I love puppies
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Top Dog

I'm like you... I don't like puppies at all. Oh they're cute... in other people's houses lol.

I'll go for an adult dog next time. The only puppy I might consider is if I ever find a good breeder of newfies, because they're not as wild as puppies.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Top Dog

Well he's not a puppy anymore but when he was I could not wait for him to grow up. A couple of weeks ago he had some weird regression where he went back to being unable to self occupy and settle down, and his noise reactivity was through the roof again (thankfully it only lasted a couple of days). He was pacing and whining and panting and chasing the cats and in his pacing walking all over us and panting in our faces. It was miserable, that is what every moment of his puppyhood was like, he just would not settle down, HAD to be occupied or he'd go after one of the cats or steal and destroy something. I never ever want that back lol. Self control is a wonderful thing, and his isn't even that great now, but compared to when he was a puppy it's wonderful.

And I didn't see the benefits either. There was no molding the puppy going on, I didn't see that little spongy mind everyone talks about. It took everything we had just to try and remedy/control his bad behaviors. The biting, the stealing, the cat chasing/harassing, the aggression, the potty training, the barking. He is much easier to train as an adult, he can focus now.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Obey the Toad.

Jack was a good puppy but an asshole as a adolescent...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Elsie will be 2 in October, and she's becoming wonderful. I love the dog she's turning into.

I'm not huge on puppies.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

Quke has been one of the easiest puppies I have ever had, still cant wait for him to mature a bit more
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Felurian

Kharma and Buffy were never really "puppy." Shiva was some, but only compared to the other two Filas (but I've always suspected Shiva was part Bull Mastiff) so I got spared the worst of the crazies.

When Kharma hit adolescence though . . . Oh, she went through the "I don't have to listen to you" bit full tilt, along with the "what is your problem; why are you so bent out of shape" attitude There were even times when she ignored what Bimmer told her -- rarely, lol. He wasn't lax about enforcing, and he could catch her to do it, lol.

Gotta admit I did enjoy the puppy zoomies, but Kharma still does that sometimes

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Oh I am with you on that one. It's likely I will never own another puppy ever again lol. Puppies are cute when they belong to someone else

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney