Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

Planet Dog has hemp collars with a soft lining.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

BB, check out my FB page......one of my students makes removeable, soft collar covers and is selling them for $5.00-$10.00. Would be a light weight (cheap lol), easy mail to the U.S.
She started making them for one of her boxers and I have seen the proof of how well they protect and prevent problems
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

Can he wear cotton? The Cozy Critter makes cotton collars in all kinds of styles and patterns.

http://www.cozycritter.com/index.htm
Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

I have really nice rolled leather ones from www.masterspride.com for the girls. They are really sturdy and nice. I also really like the placement of the O ring at the end, rather than traditional placement by the buckle. I feel they were well worth the $40/ea I paid for them.

I do still usually use their EL leather when I walk them together because they get pretty pumped when I walk them together and I don't want Scout to hurt herself if she gets excited over a squirrel or something. However that could just be me being paranoid lol.

Scout's EL leather was destroying her ruff and thats why I bought the rolled leather. Lily's is suede lined and while I will have to periodically send it in to get that replaced as it wears/gets filthy, it doesn't seem to damage her ruff significantly... its also not as wide at 1.25", while Scout's is 1.5" wide.

I finally recently got a couple fursavers and am extremely happy with them. I just clip the leash on the dead ring. Sounds like your guy might have metal sensitivities though!

I have a friend whose dog wears the planet dog fleece lined hemp collar. She still has a collar wear mark on her fur. She's a little rottie mix and has the rottie double coat.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

http://www.masterspride.com/masters_pride_012.htm

10.00 is a steal!

I will be going here , thanks for the tip Monkey , to op , I have not had any issues with the cheap leather one from pet smart. but sheen is a bogger guy and has no issues.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post

We had originally looked at leather. We decided against rolled because of how thin they were, something tells me pulling against that does a number on their throat. We decided against regular because the ones that fit small dogs were all about as wide as my pinky finger, I like 3/4" and those were all too long plus had large dog buckles and everything. I could see maybe a rolled leather to leave on just for the ID tags to leave on 24/7, then put something else on for on leash walking. But I just feel like the rolled leather ones put some serious pressure on the throat.
The 3/4" tapered down to a 1/2" makes a HUGE difference. Jackson can't do collars 3/4" all the way around either, buckles are always too big and bulky.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Another suggestion- Spiffy Collar. AND, some of them are on sale for $7.50.

https://www.spiffydog.com/home.php?cat=270
Old 08-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

This thread is SO useful. I run into the same issue with Cricket to the point where she had a permanent mostly bald spot where her collar sits. Now she doesn't hardly wear a collar inside to keep it from getting worse but I would love to have something soft that won't rub so she can still wear her tags.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

Mine have rolled leather collars from here: http://www.schaafleatherwork.com/pages/dog/collar2.html

They are my first leather collars, but seem pretty nice. Grace (puppy golden) has the "fine round" and Bailey has the regular one.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Top Dog

The rolled collars worry me, because he definitely does not walk nicely on a leash all the time. He needs to be in a collar when I'm at work; my mother takes care of the dogs during the day, and her hands are too arthritic to get collar on and off easily. I do take it off in the evening and he sleeps without it on.

He doesn't rub all over, which seems to be a common issue that collars are designed to handle. You can't see the slightest mark on the back/sides of his neck from a collar. Just the rubbed area over his throat. Like I said, I think it is because that is where the fabric doubles over on the buckles, so there is inevitably stitching and the end of the fabric there to rub. Since he's got pink skin and thin white hair there to begin with, it just makes it worse.

I was looking at Meg's unused Paco collar, and it does seem really smooth there. I'm scared to order him one though, since he's even smaller than Meg, and I don't use hers because of how heavy it is. I wish there was a local place that carried their collars.

I think a high quality leather collar is the way to go; I just need to find places to shop in person so I can actually feel them!

Thanks for the ideas - and hopefully they have been helpful to the others who are looking as well!