Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

Default Collars that don't rub

Well, the big plan to win a Paco collar didn't pan out, so apparently I need to actually shop.

Gusto's been having an issue with his collar/s rubbing under his neck. He's not raw or sore or anything, but there's a lot of pink skin showing through not a lot of white hair. I thought at first it was because I wasn't being good about taking his collar off when it was wet after swimming, but I've been doing that. I thought maybe a lighter/softer collar would help. I got him a Spiffy Dog mesh one, still not helping. I *think* this issue is that it is the area where collars 'fold' over and the dee rings attach. The inside of the collar therefore isn't smooth there. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, but it bothers me.

Any brilliant thoughts about styles/brands that might work better than others? I've had my eyes on a certain leather collar for a while, but as they are custom made, I can't get my hands on one to really get a feel for it. Whatever it is MUST come in small dog widths (nothing over 3/4"). I'm fine with leather/fabric whatever. Obviously it needs to be decently made, but he's not an 80 lb dog, so it doesn't need to be strong enough to hold an ox. I'm not going to say price is no object, but he's full-grown now, so I'm willign to spend a bit on something that will last a while.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

Maybe a rolled leather collar?
Not sure who sells them, but I like the look of them and sounds like it would suit your needs.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:37 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I have the same problems with Chloe, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

Paco collars has the Sam Brown attachment option, which takes away the bulk that comes from the usual buckle area.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Behavior Nerd

White Pine Soft Web collars! They are specifically designed to be gentle on coat, so they should help prevent the wearing - they are basically tubular nylon. A friend of mine with Cresteds swears by them!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
White Pine Soft Web collars! They are specifically designed to be gentle on coat, so they should help prevent the wearing - they are basically tubular nylon. A friend of mine with Cresteds swears by them!
This! I have a leash by them and I think I actually prefer it to my broken in leather lead.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche had collar issues until he got his Ella's Lead collar. I opted for the suede-lined option and it's incredibly smooth. The only place that rubs is where I put his slide-on Boomerang tag on. Prior to adding that it didn't rub anywhere. It only rubs a bit now and breaks the hair slightly in the area of the tag, but a few broken hairs are worth the ID to me.

I have a couple Collar Mania collars and I'm just not crazy about them. I got them satin-lined thinking it would be a smooth finish that wouldn't rub, but the thread is sort of like fishing line and pokes through in spots. I put the collars on my own neck and it's very uncomfortable bordering on painful, but when I put the Ella's Lead collar on my own neck it's incredibly comfortable.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Top Dog

Ella's Lead and Paco do not bother Jackson's neck at all. Both (ella's being black leather, paco being tan leather) are very soft (the tan naturally more so soft) and seem extremely comfortable. He doesn't have extremely sensitive skin to begin with though, so maybe not a good judge, however I'm very particular about him wearing comfortable things.

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Resident fainting goat

Rolled leather seems to work well for hairy dogs.. Onlead has a bunch that are really inexpensive!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Top Dog

Does he have to wear his collar all of the time?

Tucker's nylon collars had rubbed his neck raw, he actually had wounds from it. We bought him a different collar, a top paw monogram collar, it's very smooth, the nylon has some material over it that does not rub at all (but I'm not recommending it because it is stretchy which would be bad for a larger dog and it loosens over time). But we also started only having him wear his collar when he went outside and now his neck it perfect and he no longer has a stupid mark in his fur where his collar goes. We had always been used to leaving collars on because Max, our last dog, ran away every chance he got. But Tucker doesn't, and if he did no one would be able to catch him without being mauled, and if he DID get caught he has a microchip.

We had originally looked at leather. We decided against rolled because of how thin they were, something tells me pulling against that does a number on their throat. We decided against regular because the ones that fit small dogs were all about as wide as my pinky finger, I like 3/4" and those were all too long plus had large dog buckles and everything. I could see maybe a rolled leather to leave on just for the ID tags to leave on 24/7, then put something else on for on leash walking. But I just feel like the rolled leather ones put some serious pressure on the throat.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!