Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

Default Do you ask your Vet for training advice?

And do you trust that their knowledge is complete and correct?

Me? No, they are vets and most of them have little or no experience, knowledge on training and/or behaviour.

Thoughts???
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Love My Mutt <3

No because i havent needed it, but i absolutely would trust her if i needed some help. I dknt see how her being a vet would make her advice null and void, it wouldmt be much different than asking anybody here, except she knows Rosey. She lives happily with like 5 dogs, obviously shes doing something right LOL I also wouldnt use her as a vet if i didnt trust she knows what shes doing when it comes to most aspects of pet ownership.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Glutton for Crazy

It's never occurred to be to do so. We do have a few vet clients at my work though who compete in obedience, agility, and NW so I presume they would be relatively reliable sources for their clientele. I go to coworkers, friends, or my trainers for training advice.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

My vet asks me for training advice...and asked if I'd be interested in putting a class together so they could send their clients to me.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

It's never occurred to me. I'm not the world's biggest fan of my current vet, though. I need a new one.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

No I fully trust my vet when it comes to medical stuff but I don't really take advice on food or training from them

Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

I didn't ask for it, but was given it because she didn't read the complete behavioral history on Scout I provided that includes the behavioral modification stuff I do with her (BAT and CU primarily) as well as all the sport foundation work we do. Suffice to say I'm horrified and disgusted at her recommendation and seriously considering changing vet practices.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 AM
<----Thanks Allie

No I don't, and I don't think I really ever would. Other than the very basic knowledge most people already have, *most* vets, just like *most* doctors are only taught the these symptoms=these tests/drugs. So I am assuming the only reason I need advice is become I am dealing with a much more involved and complicated issue...

If I found a vet that I felt did a lot of OUTSIDE research on things, then I might. Otherwise, I wouldn't ask a vet for behaviour/training advice and I wouldn't ask a trainer for vet advice.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

No. I love my vet but I go to him for matters of physical health. I do like him though. Keeva was quite DR the last time he saw her and never gave me any BS about being "dominant" or using force, and he's always interacted with her in a positive way. But no, I would not go to him for behavioral advice.

My personal favorite are the vets that tell my clients that "neutering will calm him down". About a 6 month old Golden. Idiotic. Is that how you have to sell your surgeries? Jeez. Oh, or the vet that told a daycare client to pin and growl at his 9 month old bloodhound for resource guarding. Yaaaaay.

Jess, I don't think people are saying that being a vet invalidates their advice, but rather that it doesn't automatically validate it. Most average pet owners think anything the vet says is the word of God Almighty, even when it has nothing to do with veterinary medicine.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

Not unless they have competed or trained in the aspects of dog training I'm interested in. They may be awesome vets with a lot of medical knowledge but that doesn't mean they know how to train a dog. Also, living with dogs (no matter the number) does not make you a dog trainer or someone that is capable of giving good quality advice on that topic.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie