Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Nothing consistently. They get canned Merrick or Wellness stew on the weekends (the only time I feed them) but that's about it. I don't really see the need for my dogs to have any supplements added, they're doing fine as is.
Yah i only feed rosey on weekends too, or else she comes to expect food daily... much cheaper this way!

Rosey gets nothing mixed in... she gets some meat thrown in once a week.

The ferrets get melatonin

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

Yoshi just gets kibble but I do give her safe scraps about once a week I just make sure to not feed her as much kibble later that night so she doesn't get fat.

I usually give her a raw egg once or twice a week. Not really to supplement, just because she likes it.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Gavroche get fish oil a joint supplement, his thyroid medication, and water, B12 every other day, and occasionally a digestive enzyme supplement if he's been particularly farty.

Logan gets water, fish oil, a joint supplement, biotin, and B12 every other day.

The joint supplements are preventative. I know Gavroche has less than spectacular hips, so I want to preserve them. Logan is a big working dog and I'd like him to be able to work as long as possible, so I give it to him because I figure it can't hurt anything. The fish oil is for skin and joints, and the B12 is for poop issue prevention. I just started Logan on biotin to see if it helps the hair on his tail any - it tends to break around the base of the tail. Nobody would notice if they didn't know that it's supposed to be solid black there instead of seeing the undercoat color poke through, but I figured it can't hurt. He also gets occasional small hotspots (nothing that requires shaving, thankfully!) and I read that biotin is supposed to be spectacular for those sorts of skin issues.

The water is because I like my dogs to be as hydrated as possible. (Mixed in with their food, JESS! )

They both get raw eggs several times per week because they LOVE fresh, hot-from-the-chicken eggs.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I thought the fact that i give my dog water went without saying.... LOL

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

Mine get SG Seameal, Vertex,Nupro Joint and a couple THK supplements. Also fish oil,coconut oil and a raw egg a couple times a week.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

K, it's VERY complicated. Here goes-
All three get kibble, I make a homemade cooked "wet mix" of mostly lean ground beef with veggies/fruit/small amount of rice/and spices (cinnamon/curry powder/sometime ginger), with that I give Jinj 50/50 kibble wet mix and mix all his supplements in the wet mix. Noods gets a small dab of the wet mix, and End gets a small amount of it too with dinner mix her supplements in. Enda also gets Raw for breakfast often, and gets a raw satin ball with her dinner.

Supplements, Jinj get in a day- 2000MG of G and MSM, 1000MG salmon oil, 1 TBSP coconut oil, and his allergy meds. End gets- half a b-complex pill (Rexal), 650MG of cranberry, 1000MG salmon oil, and 2 TBSP coconut oil. Noods get about 1/2TBSP coconut oil.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Wookie Collie

Finnegan gets Omega Alpha GlucosaPet, tripe and salmon oil mixed in with the kibble in his Kong in the mornings. Evenings, he gets wet mixed in with kibble (the wet varies - Weruva, Merrick, Hound & Gatos..) mostly because I give him powdered supplements at night - a kelp-based multivitamin that does WONDERS for his coat, and Geneflora which is primarily a probiotic. Also Nature's Dentist on top.

The GlucosaPet is just a low dose preventative, but the rest I really see a difference. Nice tiny poops, sheen on his coat, and generally just healthier-looking.

June Bug gets the kelp vitamins, fish oil and Geneflora in her wet food, and Nature's Dentist on top.

The ferrets get melatonin and Geneflora in their weekly soup for a probiotic boost.

All the carnivores get raw as supplements/treats when I can, though Barrett hates raw. :P

Not to mention I get all pet supplements at cost, and Omega Alpha makes human supplements, and I can order them in through the store for my discount if I wish, so I'm on like six supplements as well. XD

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM
and Fozzie B!

With kibble they get various stuff. I try to make their meals at least 1/3 fresh food when they're eating kibble. Usually they get boiled chicken or ground beef, a raw egg, and/or cottage cheese mixed in. Canned food is a waste of money IMO! You can get pounds of fresh meat or one little can for the same price.

They always get salmon oil and Pet Kelp daily, whether they eat kibble or raw. Gonzo gets Pet Kelp for Joints and Skin, Fozzie just gets Pet Kelp for skin. I notice a difference within DAYS of running out of Pet Kelp... I highly recommend it for anyone whose dogs have dry skin or coat.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo AM:
-kibble
-tiny bit of Earthborn Holistic Pepper's Pot Pie (just started, waiting for a reaction)
-Alaska Natural's Salmon Oil
-1/2 tablet of NaturVet VitaPet Adult Stage Multi-Vitamin

Frodo PM:
-kibble
-tiny bit of Earthborn Holistic Pepper's Pot Pie
-Alaska Natural's Salmon Oil
-1/2 tablet NaturVet VitaPet Adult Stage Multi-Vitamin
-Fluoxitine (crazy meds, so...not really supplement but w/e)
-Gentle Digest (probiotic due to constipation from Fluoxitine)
-Wapiti Labs Mobility (I'm freaking out that Frodo is probably starting to have joint issues )

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Glutton for Crazy

My dogs are lucky I remember to feed them. Speaking of I think I forgot this evening, oh well.

Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.