Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
He was not herding and he knew it.
Logan was the same way! He LOVES coursing. Ran three times and got his title, even in crappy weather. Everyone was amazed at his cornering ability. He even caught the lure at the end! He wasn't as into playing tug with the lure as some of the hounds were, but he sure loved the chase.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Top Dog

the Collie has borzoi in the background and they seem to be built like lurchers. so Logan topping 35 or even better doesn't surprise me.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
30 MPH? is yours missing a leg?
I clocked Shiva at around 35 mph a few times -- and she was the slow one. (Charley liked to keep her fat and I don't believe she was fully Fila). Kharma routinely left her way behind, frustrated and pissed off.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Taxiderpy

Some day I'd really like to test a fila in a big field with the zois.

Been writing to an azawakh breeder. He says they are guard dogs. Most of their game went pretty scarce so recently haven't been used for subsistence hunting as much as in the past. They are and have been used as cattle guardians forever though. He said that if I have an azawakh it will not let strangers in the house.

He's hunted his dogs on jackrabbit in NM and TX.

There is epilepsy in the breed. They can't not breed from epileptic lines because the gene pool is so small there would be no azawakh. It's not the grand mal form though, it's smaller less frequent episodes from what I understand. Other than that, there are zero health probs. Epilepsy is just the only thing the desert couldn't select against.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Felurian

I suspect, running with Zois, you'd have some frustrated, pissed off Filas plotting a way to get even, probably involving sophistry, sabotage and subterfuge -- and dirty tricks, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
I suspect, running with Zois, you'd have some frustrated, pissed off Filas plotting a way to get even, probably involving sophistry, sabotage and subterfuge -- and dirty tricks, lol.
Zois are pretty good at gauging top speeds of other dogs and self handicapping. I'm just curious how much they'd have to actually do it with filas.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

There is a borzoi breeder in the U.K with Azawahks as well. Can't remember the kennel name, something like Jamiraquoi. She might be able to give you an idea of the similarities.

Quite a few breeders in Europe and a crap ton of Azawahks in rescue there too. I'm guessing pickings are pretty slim in North America? I have my heart set on one in five or ten years but it's a little too early for me to put much thought into it!

Lol, did I really put 30 MPH? Apparently in my sleep deprived zombie state sighthounds run real slow!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Taxiderpy

Awesome! I'll see if they can give me some insights there, thanks for the tip!

Yeah, it doesn't seem like there are many lines here or folks working with them. At least, not many are on the internet.

I thought about importing a dog maybe, but Kaia's breeder just imported a dog from OZ and did one from Europe and it was super expensive. I think she said the one from Europe was almost 1k for her share, and that was with doubling up with someone else and shipping two puppies at once. Doesn't look too appealing vs. domestic flights that are $300 or so.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post

I thought about importing a dog maybe, but Kaia's breeder just imported a dog from OZ and did one from Europe and it was super expensive. I think she said the one from Europe was almost 1k for her share, and that was with doubling up with someone else and shipping two puppies at once. Doesn't look too appealing vs. domestic flights that are $300 or so.
Importing from Australia is super expensive. But on the plus side (compared to other countries) they are rabies free! No quarantine.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Taxiderpy

Isn't the UK rabies free as well? I wonder if importing from there requires a quarantine.