Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Ball Thrower

Ears and face for Chase. When we are training, he has "aha" moments where his eyes get wide and ears come forward. I know then he understands what I'm asking for, when he's disgruntled he pulls his lip into his mouth. When he's sad or tired his ears droop down, and his eyes even get droopy.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Little dog, big voice

If I had to pick one, I'd say ears.. but Cali is a pretty expressive dog. If she's super excited, her ears go back, her tail goes a mile a minute and usually a big smile and a few excited barks aren't too far behind. If she's upset or bored, her tail usually just goes right down and her eyes almost look pitiful.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Cooper's tail. Which is kind of funny, because it's docked. But you can tell exactly what he's thinking by the way his tail is moving or positioned.

Gracie, it'd be her eyes. She lets you know what she's feeling by the way her eyes look.

Cynder expresses herself very well with her body language - how she holds herself, which way she leans, how quickly she responds to something, what her head position is, etc.

Chloe, it's her entire face. She has such an expressive face. Mouth, ears, and eyes.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

For Tucker is it probably his mouth. I can always tell when he's anxious or restless because he'll pant with the edges of his mouth pulled back as far as they can go. It's not like his relaxed slack open mouth when he's happy or just plain hot. When he's going to be "naughty" he will have his mouth closed but somehow he can show some of his front teeth, like if a person were to make a bunny rabbit face, slightly lifting the very front of the top lip. And he has the classic open mouth grin when he's super happy or exited. His mouth is clamped closed when he's nervous and he puckers when aggressive, classic dog behavior.

But I mean he speaks with his whole body really well. I can always tell if he sees someone he knows out the window because all of sudden his ears will go from as far forward as possible to back and down and the tail will go from high on his back to level with his spine with big loose wags, always at the same time. When he's bored he holds his head low, like he's miserable. And he can have terribly sad looking eyes, but I think the mouth has a lot of affect on the eyes.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Tail. Definitely tail with Morgan.

He has very expressive eyes... but he doesn't always tell the truth with his eyes. I can always check his tail to find out what he's REALLY thinking.

For example: My husband is in charge of feeding Morgan dinner. Morgan comes to me and gives me the "I'm SOOOOO hungry!" eyes. If the tail is down, he hasn't been fed yet. If the tail is wagging, he is a LIAR trying to get a second dinner out of me.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
APBT crazy!

Buster his eyes. He has those pathetic hound puppy dog eyes and it usually means he wants food. He lives to eat I swear.

Rudy, his tail usually. If he has it all the way up and it curls like your Kaylee's he is pretty happy.

For Dixie it's her tail, even though it's docked she wags it so much and she expresses herself through "smiling" also. Also through the way she "talks" to you. She makes you feel special when she roo, roo, roo's at you! She's a happy girl!

For my past dogs:

Rocky, his tail deifinately. It wagged like a propeller when he was really happy. I miss him so much.

Jenny, her tail and her eyes. Gosh she was the most expressive dog ever. I miss my best girl!

Ginger, her ears and eyes. She had big bat ears. I miss her a lot and stroking her ears, they were like velvet.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Squishy face

With Miles, his ears. He is very expressive with those adorable little pointy ears.

Parents' dogs:
With Daisy, it's her eyes.

And Rocky, his tail.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM
...ice road...

Ruger - his eyes. I can look at that dog's eyes and know exactly what he's thinking. And he knows what I'm thinking. We're good like that lol

Jolene - her body. She does a lot of over-exaggerated movements that make it easy to tell what she's feeling.

Bukra - His tail. I really need to get a video... when he's relaxed, his tail falls straight.. but say his name (or some other word he knows with excitement), and it pops up into a double curl lol You can tell exactly how he's feeling by looking at his tail.

Zealand - His voice. He's a talker and a grumbler, and is always telling everyone about something!

Peshamba - Her eyes. Though I'm still learning what she's trying to tell me.. we're getting there!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

For both of the Dobermans, it's their eyes. And their ears play a pretty big role too, but their eyes are incredibly expressive.

For Dance it's really her whole face. Her mouth, her eyes, her ears. She has so many different facial expressions it's crazy.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
and Fozzie B!

Definitely their ears. I can tell instantly from afar of behind if they're fixating on something or about to react or super happy. Gonzo's ears are much softer and go back/fourth constantly, while Fozzie's ears only go back if he sees some one or another dog that he absolutely LOVES. If his ears go sideways/slightly back he's nervous. If they're intensely perked forward he's focusing on something.

This is why I wouldn't want a floppy eared dog.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie