Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Blackout

Default Remote retrieve demonstration with GSD

Just came across this video (the dog in it is now retired and belongs to my current trainer). I've not much idea what they are doing in it but the hand in the GSD's mouth is abit...erm...I don't get the point. I thought I'd just share it for everyone's thoughts and those whom are in very active and intense training programs could see what they thought.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81345297387626

Opinions? I've never heard of Fred Hassen before either
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-19-2012, 08:12 AM
Top Dog

Sit mean Sit just like to put shock collars on all of the dogs they train. I remember a video of a dog who was scared of visitors and would run and hide so they slapped a shock collar on that dog too. They also seem to love that they can get their dogs to stand on perches for some reason. I assume they are putting the hand in the mouth for two reasons. One so that they can feel if the dog is mouthing the object, which is not wanted, and two so they can better force the dog to keep it in the mouth, if the dog resists the guy can fight to keep his hand in there. Zapping the dog for no reason seems pretty stupid to me, I still don't get what they are trying to accomplish with that, except confusing the heck out of the poor dog. At first he said something about proofing the dog...so maybe holding on despite discomfort/pain? But then he said something about making the collar a positive thing...which makes no sense, they use the collar as a punishment device.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

I"m glad you mentioned the name, now I don't have to waste time watching it
Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

good grief, what a waste of time. Should have taken RTH's lead. Is he suppose to be some kind of pro??? If so he really should start with not repeating the sit commend all the time lol. Never ever impressed when someone's dog is looking for the second they can leave them. Interesting that he had to have a leash on the dog or it would have left in a heartbeat.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 AM
and Fozzie B!

Oh my god... I HATE Sit Means Sit. *shudders* I see those morons at this local dog park constantly, with various aggressive dogs slinking around getting shocked almost non-stop and causing fights. I want to punch them in the neck. D:<

That poor Sheppy, his stress signals are through the roof. I wanna hug him.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

I hate them too. I've met quite a few dogs "trained" by them that were so shut down they wouldn't even look at or interact with their owners at all.

The ones that could take it so to speak of course only behaved when the collars were on. I met a couple of those a few times.

My vet actually recommended them to me as "behaviorists" when I asked about putting Scout meds. I was pretty polite, but I still think I scared the little receptionist girl with my oh hell no!

I'm still really upset about and considering changing vet hostpital's over it. What if it'd been some unknowing pet owner who thought they were doing good for their dog? Omfg, what that would do to a dog like Scout utterly horrifies me...

I want to put that GSD in my pocket and take him home. He's being so sweet trying to placate that man with calming signals. Sigh.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
I hate them too. I've met quite a few dogs "trained" by them that were so shut down they wouldn't even look at or interact with their owners at all.

The ones that could take it so to speak of course only behaved when the collars were on. I met a couple of those a few times.

My vet actually recommended them to me as "behaviorists" when I asked about putting Scout meds. I was pretty polite, but I still think I scared the little receptionist girl with my oh hell no!

I'm still really upset about and considering changing vet hostpital's over it. What if it'd been some unknowing pet owner who thought they were doing good for their dog? Omfg, what that would do to a dog like Scout utterly horrifies me...

I want to put that GSD in my pocket and take him home. He's being so sweet trying to placate that man with calming signals. Sigh.
Scary isn't it, just not the training, but the fact that vet's and staff at vet clinics recommend these kinds of trainers. Amazing how many vet's give out training advice when asked when so many of them have had very little if any knowledge on training dogs/ methods etc.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quit your bitching, YOU people don't live 20 minutes from him and see him at most every dog event.

Punks.

Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Quit your bitching, YOU people don't live 20 minutes from him and see him at most every dog event.

Punks.

How did you get so lucky
Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

"Remote retreive" in this house means the dog gets up and get the TV/Roku remote and brings it to me

I started the video, saw him yank the dog around and start to jabber about an e-collar, and closed it.