Rebecca Carey - mauled to death by own dog(?)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I read somewhere that they didn't know which dog killed her. I think it's very tragic either way.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong for thinking this but I think that's a LOT of things to stack up against yourself- 5 powerful dogs of breeds of which all breeds are known to have some degree of DA/SSA, all males (at least one pit and the two presas are males for sure, but something I read said all dogs were male), one non-resident dog (presa), all dogs in the house and not segregated at all (assuming so if they couldn't tell which had killed her that they were all together)... and just one person to separate them if anything went wrong.

You're right, Laur. Very, very bad judgment. And a huge tragedy, one that Dogsbite.org is bound to make 1000X worse. Her family is going through enough without having their personal tragedy turned into propaganda.

thehoundgirl

I have actually known Rebecca for a long time online and she was a wonderful person, friend, and, rescuer. This was unfortunate and I really miss her. :( Maybe she was trying to break up the fight between the Presa's and they redirected on her? She worked with various breeds, even the bigger ones. Her APBT was a registered therapy dog, so I doubt that dog had anything to do with biting her. I read that her friend in person thought she fell and hit her head trying to break up the dog fight. Super sad about this one as I knew her very well and just got back in touch with her. :( May she rest in peace. :'(

Sweet72947

Squishy face
From KC Dog Blog (http://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogblog/2012/08/two-dog-bite-fatalities-week-of-813.html#comments)

Rebecca Carey was a 23 year old woman in Decatur, GA and was found dead, apparently attacked by dogs in her home.

Carey was a rescuer and worked at a veterinary clinic. She had four dogs of her own and was pet sitting a fifth dog for the weekend. Carey owned a pit bull, a Presa Canario, a boxer and one other dog (which strangely isn't mentioned in most of the articles but apparently weighed about 15 lbs) -- and was pet sitting a friend's Presa Canario.

Authorities unfortunately euthanized all the dogs at the home without any effort to determine which one(s) were involved and what may have caused the death. Carey is described as a "Very experienced" dog handler and not naive when it came to dogs. Unfortunately, without any investigation at the scene, we're left with little to determine a cause of attack.

Without anything more, the cause in this attack is merely speculative. It would seem that two of the dogs getting into a fight and her getting into the middle of it is the most likely scenario (particularly with a new dog in the house for the weekend), but even with that, none of the news articles seem to indicate if any of the dogs were injured in any way.

It really is a horrible situation, and I feel sorry for everyone close to Carey. It's a sad moment for someone who obviously had a caring heart and passion for animals.

The story has picked up by more than 150 news outlets including many national news outlets.
Just a sad situation with senseless death all around. I guess since its "just dogs" its easier to just kill 'em all then to actually investigate.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Like Laur said, there were some risks by the sound of it.
I didn't know her, her dogs or the real story though.
Terribly sad for everyone involved.

Members online

No members online now.