Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Default Macky had a seizure today

First one ever. It was very quiet, she didn't collapse or convulse, but afterwards (I believe) she came up to me with her mouth hanging open and drooling excessively. When she tried to walk she was staggering/ataxic in the hind end, and then she vomited up her lunch. And she was just totally disoriented, clingy, wobbly, and glassy-eyed.

Took her to the e-vet, who ran blood work which came back totally normal, and the vet and I both feel the likely culprit is a seizure. And now she's very tired, which I understand is also typical.

The vet says we shouldn't consider meds unless she has a seizure more than once a month, especially since this was so mild. I definitely agree. I'm hoping this is a one time occurrence or least remains rare.

I just happened to be here with her because I was at a wedding last night and spent the night at my mom's house. I'm staying over again and going into work late so that I can stay with her while my mom's at work tomorrow morning. Macky is delighted that Keeva and Ollie have been crated to give her peace and quiet.

So... I dunno. Hugs? lol I'm just stressed and worried, and also wondering what this means for her as a performance dog, if the stress of training/trialing will be too much, etc. I could care less, but she really does love training and working. *sigh* Bah. Does anybody else on here have a dog that has seizures or has had one?

Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

((((((hugs)))))))

Hopefully, it was a one-off thing and that'll be the end of it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

My cocker had seizures. We also never medicated for them because he would only seizure a couple of times a year and the meds would have compromised his health far more than the seizures ever did.

He lived a fairly normal life... We went hiking and to training classes just like I do with my dogs now.

Stress can induce seizures. In Patton's case it would usually be things that really pushed him out of his comfort zone and wound him up a lot.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

(((hugs))) Very scary. I hope it's not something that is going to happen regularly. Poor you and Macky.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm All Ears

That is so scary. Summer seized once a few years back but it had to do with having to be put under more than once in 24 hours. Seizures are really scary though. I'm hoping Macky's was a one-time deal.

Lots of (((((Hugs)))))
Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Twin 2

Oh no Macky! Poor girl, not fair. Though I'm sure she's loving her crate free but other dogs crated time. I hope it's only a one time thing, she's way to young and in the prime of her life. She's got way to many dogs to school to have this happen again.

Lots of hugs for both of you. Give her something yummy
Old 08-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Oh no! Poor Macky , hope it's just a one time thing. My old husky had only one seizure in his life...strange thing they are.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Poor Macky! I certainly hope it was a one time thing, and you spend the next 10 years with her waiting for the second one.

I've never had a dog with seizures, but I've known several. My friend has one who had frequent small seizures for a long time (she'd had distemper as a puppy - the rest of the litter died). They treated with pheno for a while, then were able to get her on something a naturopath recommended, and finally got her off meds entirely. She went to agility trials with no problems whatsoever. But then, one of my very favorite agility dogs had to stop trialling over a year ago because he developed seizures, and had one inevitably any time he competed. I think the causes are so varied, there is no way to know.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Thanks everyone. Moth, it's great to hear that your Cocker did just fine. Macky is a pretty low stress dog, nothing much scares her, so I'm hoping this won't affect her training and trialing. But of course, even the happiest of dogs will find it slightly stressful.

Lindsey, if you can believe it, she doesn't want food. *gasp* Not even mac n cheese. She seems like she still has the spins and it's making her nauseas. :-/ She's been puking a bit on and off still.

Everybody, thanks so much for the hugs and the stories and the support. She just vomited a bit but now seems to be comfortable.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Behavior Nerd

How old is Macky? Could she maybe just have vertigo instead of seizuring? I've had vertigo before and it can def make you nauseous!