Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

I am mostly German and Hungarian with some heritage coming from Great Britain. And since I live here, I am of course Canadian.

My top favourite breeds are Tollers, Koolies and Belgian Shepherds. One is Canadian, one is Australian (or German, depending on who you talk to) and the other is obviously Belgian.

I do like certain breeds of my heritage though. A lot of the working breeds that I like are German and I do like a nice Vizsla as well. I like a few breeds that originated from Great Britain also. Collies, Border Collies, and probably a handful more. And as far as Canadian breeds go, Tollers are the only one I have any real interest in. I do like Labs nowadays also, but probably not to own. The three breeds above are the only ones I have any real interest in owning at this point.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 08-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

Meh, not really interested in Canadian dogs breeds or Scottish ones. There are some lovely breeds from both these countries but my interest is pretty much focused on middle eastern sight hounds
Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

I am Eastern European, know nothing of the culture, but I do know all of the food!

And generally speaking, I do enjoy Eastern European breeds and Spitz breeds. I enjoy ranch/farm working dogs, too...but not as much as general working breeds that can do a bit of everything.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
i thought labs were created in britain from the lesser st johns waterdog. i know the AKC in the 1920s considered them a short coat variety of the british breed Retreiver (flat & curly were the other varieties).

England's kennel club was the first registry to register Labs, but labs originated in Canada, starting off in newfoundland in the 1700s and got imported to the UK where the breed was 'fine tuned'. I suppose if you don't want to dig back that deep, then the breed is from the UK. But considering they got the original breeding stock from Canada, I consider them a canadian breed. They haven't even really changed that much from the "St. Johns' dog" anyway.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Well my father had a Hrvatski Ov***269;ar growing up (I have no idea what the breed is called in the United States or if it even exists outside Croatia). I like them: sprightly little dogs with a lot of character. But I'm definitely daunted by the idea of importing an animal...and I'm not tremendously keen on their looks.

Dalmatians are the only others I know are from Croatia and I can't stand them!

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 08-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

I like Canadian breeds, but I'm mostly drawn to mutts.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

Well, for the most part I'm pure American. For American breeds, well anything that belongs to the herding group really, particularly sharing collie ancestry, not as much of a fan of Catahoulas though with them being more of a hound. If you want to get technical it's pretty complicated, my great grandparents from my mothers side are from Sicily, as far as Italian breeds I really don't know a enough. And then there's that rumor spread through the family about a dirty relationship to the royal family that we're probably related to the Queen, but since no one will talk, yeah, but if you want to go off that, I'm sure I don't have to say anything about that

Big smiles by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Blackout

Oh left out Canada lol - wasn't born here but indeed I am a proud citizen.

Labs I don't mind. I wouldn't own one but I don't mind them. Newfies... don't leave me with much of a impression; big silly dopey dogs. Tollers are inoffensive, really mild mannered and eager to please I've found.

And there is a type of feral sort of village dog from provincial Southern China that my grandparents did "employ" as guard dogs for their properties waaaay back when. I've only seen photos...they kinda look like dark colored dingos. Meh.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by houlahoops View Post
Well my father had a Hrvatski Ov***269;ar growing up (I have no idea what the breed is called in the United States or if it even exists outside Croatia). I like them: sprightly little dogs with a lot of character. But I'm definitely daunted by the idea of importing an animal...and I'm not tremendously keen on their looks.

Dalmatians are the only others I know are from Croatia and I can't stand them!
I think they're just called Croatian Sheepdogs. That's what I've always heard them called anyways.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
Well, for the most part I'm pure American. For American breeds, well anything that belongs to the herding group really, particularly sharing collie ancestry, not as much of a fan of Catahoulas though with them being more of a hound. If you want to get technical it's pretty complicated, my great grandparents from my mothers side are from Sicily, as far as Italian breeds I really don't know a enough. And then there's that rumor spread through the family about a dirty relationship to the royal family that we're probably related to the Queen, but since no one will talk, yeah, but if you want to go off that, I'm sure I don't have to say anything about that

Big smiles by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr
houlas ARE NOT HOUNDS, they are cur dogs. a properly bred cur will naturally herd & hunt. they are related to the little cur in your pic.