Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-19-2012, 03:14 AM
Blackout

Default Dogs of your country and you

I was at dog training class today and present there was a Shar Pei in a Charlie Brown tshirt (....) and a Chow Chow. Both owned by Chinese ladies. Now, I don't quite know why but me and breeds of Chinese origin don't seem to click; I've only had negative experiences with pekingese, shih tzu's, Chows, Shar Pei's, and Crested's. And I personally would NEVER own any of those; I do have issues with Chinese tradition and culture but it is purely a coincidence that I really don't like the above breeds and that they all happen to be of Chinese origin. Perhaps on a subconscious level only - if that...

I just love LGD's - but the breeds I find myself most drawn to are of Eastern European backgrounds. Something in their personalities/quirks just really resonate with me and my feelings.

Does anyone else have a particular relationship with or view dog breeds from your background/native country in a certain way?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Ho ho ho off.

Well, I have a lot of choice, being from the UK a lot of breeds originated from here. Yes, I like a lot of them

http://www.dogluvers.com/Great-Britain.html
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 AM
and Fozzie B!

I don't like Asiatic breeds at all, either! For the most part. Some of them are just stunning but 100% do not fit me or my ideal type of dog. It seems like many sharp, temperamental breeds come from Asia, with personalities that are more cat-like than most.

I'm 1/4 Swedish. I do like Nordic breeds and their temperament, but I haven't met many Scandinavian breeds in particular... I love Vallhunds. And Lapponian Herders are gorgeous. In general Scandinavian breeds are very Spitz like and have reliable family personalities, and many do their fair share of Reindeer herding. The only thing I don't like about Spitz's is the fact that most of them are super barky.

I'm also German, and I love GSDs! They are the ideal dog to me.

I'm a little bit Welsh, but I think I got more Welsh traits than the rest of my tan/blonde family, with red hair and all. I definitely have a love for Corgis so that must be where it comes from.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Mutts to you

Well, I'm basically a mutt, and that's what I keep winding up with, but...

Sis has been doing the family genealogy stuff, my Mom's side has a double helping of German (her father and her mother's mother) and my absolute favorite breed is the Rottweiler. There's also Irish, English and Scottish ancestors in the mix.

Of the mutts I've owned, Holly was a definite chow mix and we got along great but I've never been drawn to pure bred Chow Chows, or any of the Chinese/Japanese breeds. I do like all breeds but have never wanted to own any purebred except for a Rottie. (Twin has a fondness for Corgis.)

The rest of the muttley crew have been mixtures of german or english breeds (rottie mix, collie mix, terrier/beagle mix, gsd mix, alaskan brown bear/corgi mix, boxer/whippet mix), so maybe there is something to that genetic hardwiring...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

I'm mainly Swedish and German. I like Nordic dogs, but I'm not sure I'd ever own one. Again, I like many dogs with German roots, but they aren't my ideal dog.

Australia seems to make the breeds that are most compatible with me.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
I was at dog training class today and present there was a Shar Pei in a Charlie Brown tshirt (....) and a Chow Chow. Both owned by Chinese ladies. Now, I don't quite know why but me and breeds of Chinese origin don't seem to click; I've only had negative experiences with pekingese, shih tzu's, Chows, Shar Pei's, and Crested's. And I personally would NEVER own any of those; I do have issues with Chinese tradition and culture but it is purely a coincidence that I really don't like the above breeds and that they all happen to be of Chinese origin. Perhaps on a subconscious level only - if that...

I just love LGD's - but the breeds I find myself most drawn to are of Eastern European backgrounds. Something in their personalities/quirks just really resonate with me and my feelings.

Does anyone else have a particular relationship with or view dog breeds from your background/native country in a certain way?
I haven't met any (that I know of) Italian breeds, but I just wanted to point out that while Chinese is in the name of Chinese Cresteds, they are not actually an asian breed. They are actually South American. The Mayans and Incas laid the foundation for the breed as it is today.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I'm not a huge fan of most of the Italian dog breeds. I think the Volpino Italiano is adorable, but I've only met one before! I'd consider owning an Italian greyhound.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Lab Love

Well, the canadian breeds fit me pretty dang well. Tollers and labs, absolutely golden. Newfies are a bit too large and drooly but I love them all the same too.

As for dogs from Scotland, they are mostly a miss. I'm not too sure on all of them, but there's the scottish deerhound, scottish terrier, Shetlie and collie, border terriers, border collies???, and the westie. I'm sure I'm missing some more, but those are the ones I can recall from my memory.

I'd own a Border Terrier out of the bunch. I do love border collies but at this time I have no intention on going out to get one. If it was the right dog, sure.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Are you dead yet?

Eh. Not a lot of Italian/Sicilian breeds that I'm fond of. I'm part german and I love a lot of the german breeds. Also part irish and love a lot of the sheepdogs that hail from those parts.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm All Ears

I'm a mutt- German, English, Welsh, Native American, Irish mostly. No French.

The breeds I like come from all over the world- Border Collie- Great Britain, Aussie- USA, Sheltie- Shetland Islands, Papillon- France/Belgium, Toller- Canada, Pyr shep- France, Belgian Shepherd- Belgium.