Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


View Poll Results: Cloth Diapers
Yes for enviromental reason 2 8.33%
Yes for medical reasons 2 8.33%
Yes for money reason and cuteness 3 12.50%
No GROSS 9 37.50%
No too hard 4 16.67%
Dont know where to start but interested 1 4.17%
Shrimp Scampi 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 AM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Same with re-usable cloth menstral pads. the whole idea just grosses me out.

When it comes to disgusting bodily fluids... the less contact I have with it the better. I like things that I can use then THROW AWAY and forget about lol no muss no fuss.

I can't imagine putting that stuff in my laundry or having it around my house!!! or having to carry it around dirty, even in a bag!!!

so no lol I do love the environment..but it just seems like a yucky hassle to me.
Yup, this. I care about the environment and do quite a bit towards reducing my footprint, but reusing diapers is not something I would ever be willing to do.

Good for people who want to, but no way will it ever happen in this house.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
That's the thing. You DON'T put poop through your wash. You dump it first. You soak your diapers in vinegar which degrades urine to nothing THEN wash.

As for hassle. I find killing the planet a hassle. It hassles me that my grandchildren won't have a beautiful world because of a "hassle".
Oh don't give me that. lol my parents drive 100% electric cars, my apartment building is 100% eco friendly and runs on steam, I recycle, reuse, I run/bike most days or public transport and NEVER drive which trust me SAVES A LOT MORE then some diapers lol
My family's company also has jump started Haiti's way in wind energy and first ever recycling program.
I don't use styrofoam or support restaurants that do, I have a re-usable water bottle, all the electricity in my childhood home ran on 100% solar panels. We NEVER EVER buy meat at super-markets and instead only support local organic.

Same as unplugging electronics when they aren't in use. Does it make you feel good? Sure it does! YAY I'M HELPING THE WORLD ONE UNPLUGGED TOASTER AT A TIME!! ... does it really make that much of a difference? No lol honestly it does not.. I wrote a paper on the "feel good aspect" of it vs the actual rewards.
And if it was difficult to do.. I wouldn't blame people for passing on it. There are much much bigger fish to fry.

but I would NEVER EVER try to make other people feel guilty for not doing all that. We all do what we can, when we can, how we can.. we weigh what is worth it to us and how much we can help personally.. and more importantly, we do our RESEARCH to find out what steps towards being eco-friendly are truly worth it environment wise. I just am not sold on the eco rewards of re-useables.

So forgive me for killing the planet by not wanting to soak/deal with human waste.

"There is no answer," said Chaz Miller, director of state programs for the National Solid Wastes Management Association. No one can say definitively whether cloth or disposable diapers are better for the environment.
Most disposable diapers are not even bio-degradable.
"There are downsides to both," Berkeley's Hayes said. "It's a tossup of which is worst: wasting our water supply or filling up our landfills."

Either way. Neither option is "eco-friendly" or saving the planet.

Everybody makes decisions based on reward vs. effort. It's human nature.

I don't consider the hassle of re-usable human waste products (diapers, pads etc..) worth their weight eco-friendly wise for me to deal with the hassle and waste they cause ANYWAY. (soaking, washing otherwise wasting water/energy on laundry AND the fact that when finally thrown away, most aren't even biodegradable etc..)

Money saving? I'm sure.
Eco-friendly? Not totally.

I'm all FOR IT for those who want to make the effort and who these kinds of things work for.
but please let us not try the guilt thing because frankly, it just doesn't hold water. The dent in my carbon footprint caused by tampons is MICROSCOPIC lol trust me. I've done the research. Health reasons? Money reasons? That's another theory that IMO is worth looking into more then the eco aspect.
__________________

Last edited by Fran101; 08-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Grab's Avatar
Grab Grab is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy2394 View Post
And the cloth diapers stayed wet.. unlike disposables that absorb the wetness. I felt like i was going though so many cloth diapers because I didn't want her sitting in a wet diaper. And the smell of them was enough to make me wanna puke...lol
All of Clive's have been AIO and were/are very absorbant. However, even though he's in disposables 98% of the time, we change him just as often. Wicking away of moisture or no, if I discover he's peed, he is immediately changed. We do go through a lot of diapers this way, but gross, lol.

He doesn't care which diapers he wears now, but as a little guy he was always way more cheerful in his soft cloth diapers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,498
Default

I will give you that. Did you know that 50% of the worlds landfills are diapers. Every single diaper manufactured is still in existence today.

I don't see how my driving a petrol car means I should just use disposable diapers. I will continue to do everything I can to reduce my foot print and I wish more people did.

By the way, those studies about how sposies are better for the environment were funded by, you guessed it, the diaper companies. Kinda like Hills funds vets nutrition "education".
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,003
Default

My SIL had cloth diapers with disposable inserts. That way if there was a huge mess you could still throw most of it away, but it was a lot less that was actually going into the landfill. I could deal with that I think.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I will give you that. Did you know that 50% of the worlds landfills are diapers. Every single diaper manufactured is still in existence today.

I don't see how my driving a petrol car means I should just use disposable diapers. I will continue to do everything I can to reduce my foot print and I wish more people did.

By the way, those studies about how sposies are better for the environment were funded by, you guessed it, the diaper companies. Kinda like Hills funds vets nutrition "education".
I'm not saying that by doing the small thing (using re-usable diapers) negates how bad cars are for the environment. By all means, people should do what they can. Would I ever drive a gas car? No. But hey.. to each their own.

I would NEVER EVER give you the all mighty guilt trip about how your car is killing the environment or that you are selfish for driving one. Because I don't know you or the factors or why you choose to drive a car.

Share my thoughts on running/bikes/buses? Sure anytime.
but the almighty guilt trip about the children and the ozone and the polar bears.. how would that make you feel? would it really change anything? wouldn't you feel like for all that you do to TRY for the earth.. it's a little rude to call you some kind of earth killer just because you drive a car?

exactly.

As for diapers.. it's not something I am familiar with and hey, I'm not even sure how many diapers babies even use. I am not saying one way is right or wrong.
I am saying that people should do their own research on the cost vs. benefits and their lifestyle and make their OWN decision instead of made to feel guilty because although they do ALL THEY CAN, they don't want to or can't re-use diapers.

I KNOW feminine products wise.. I am wasting less using tampons then I would using re-usable pads. Laundry/water energy wise alone. The fact that it grosses me out? Icing on the cake.

I do all I can and trust me, have made a lot more change in people by example than I have trying to guilt them with all I do. The familiar "OH SHAME ON YOU!! LOOK AT ME BEING ECO FRIENDLY YOU EARTH KILLER!" tactic has been tried and tried and guess what? It doesn't work. Honey and vinegar. Have the facts, be an example.. sure. but the guilt trip does nothing for the cause.

I don't claim to know a lot about diapers. but I do know that I am doing all I can for the environment and will not be fed the "OH BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" guilt trip over something as small waste wise as my personal feminine products.

I could sell the bike, put up my running shoes and buy a car and drive around for 10 days and do a lot worse for the environment then I would ever save by using re-usable menstral pads for the rest of my life lol

There are A LOT of arguments for re-usable diapers. The money, they are cute etc.. etc..
but the guilt trip just does nothing for me personally. I put way too much of an effort to be chastised for one decision that frankly, is totally personal.

Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I will give you that. Did you know that 50% of the worlds landfills are diapers. Every single diaper manufactured is still in existence today.
Huh? 50%? A quick google search brings up 2% in the US, 15% in Europe.

Quote:
According to the EPA’s most recent municipal waste report (2008), 2.3% by weight of products discarded in the municipal waste stream are disposable diapers.
Quote:
In Europe, where there is considerably more recycling and less discarding of durable goods, disposable diapers make up 15% of trash.
http://whatawaste.info/2010/7-6-bill...-diaper-trash/

This is actually interesting too. Basically, there is significant environmental impact to either diapering choice:

Quote:
It's great to try to move our lives in the direction of ecological righteousness, but it's also true that every human activity has environmental impact -- especially the activities of that fraction of the human population rich enough to have diapers of any kind. From the earth's point of view it's not all that important which kind of diapers you use. The important decision was having the baby.
http://www.sustainer.org/dhm_archive...vn321diapersed

Want to save the environment? Have less kids.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

http://www.sustainer.org/dhm_archive...vn321diapersed

Want to save the environment? Have less kids.

so by also being practically infertile and not having any children.. I'm saving the environment even more! SUCCESS!! haha

My biggest vices? Electronics (both the manufacturing of them and using them). Electricity (airconditioning, wifi, big refrigerator) and of course, although buses/subways do HELP.. they still pack a punch.

We all have things we could do BETTER. Not have kids, not be part of society, not eat meat, grow our own food, no running water, no electricity, in fact, don't buy anything at all, don't use anything,don't talk to anyone lol
Just live in the hills like a mountain man lol
but what kind of life would that be if you didn't want it?

My point is..nobody here is perfect. By being on the computer alone lol our carbon footprints are all existent. ..which makes the guilt trip kind of a waste of time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 PM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
My SIL had cloth diapers with disposable inserts. That way if there was a huge mess you could still throw most of it away, but it was a lot less that was actually going into the landfill. I could deal with that I think.
This. You get flushable inserts too. So its just as easy and hassle free as a sposie.
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-19-2012, 12:21 PM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I'm not saying that by doing the small thing (using re-usable diapers) negates how bad cars are for the environment. By all means, people should do what they can. Would I ever drive a gas car? No. But hey.. to each their own.

I would NEVER EVER give you the all mighty guilt trip about how your car is killing the environment or that you are selfish for driving one. Because I don't know you or the factors or why you choose to drive a car.

Share my thoughts on running/bikes/buses? Sure anytime.
but the almighty guilt trip about the children and the ozone and the polar bears.. how would that make you feel? would it really change anything? wouldn't you feel like for all that you do to TRY for the earth.. it's a little rude to call you some kind of earth killer just because you drive a car?

exactly.

As for diapers.. it's not something I am familiar with and hey, I'm not even sure how many diapers babies even use. I am not saying one way is right or wrong.
I am saying that people should do their own research on the cost vs. benefits and their lifestyle and make their OWN decision instead of made to feel guilty because although they do ALL THEY CAN, they don't want to or can't re-use diapers.

I KNOW feminine products wise.. I am wasting less using tampons then I would using re-usable pads. Laundry/water energy wise alone. The fact that it grosses me out? Icing on the cake.

I do all I can and trust me, have made a lot more change in people by example than I have trying to guilt them with all I do. The familiar "OH SHAME ON YOU!! LOOK AT ME BEING ECO FRIENDLY YOU EARTH KILLER!" tactic has been tried and tried and guess what? It doesn't work. Honey and vinegar. Have the facts, be an example.. sure. but the guilt trip does nothing for the cause.

I don't claim to know a lot about diapers. but I do know that I am doing all I can for the environment and will not be fed the "OH BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" guilt trip over something as small waste wise as my personal feminine products.

I could sell the bike, put up my running shoes and buy a car and drive around for 10 days and do a lot worse for the environment then I would ever save by using re-usable menstral pads for the rest of my life lol

There are A LOT of arguments for re-usable diapers. The money, they are cute etc.. etc..
but the guilt trip just does nothing for me personally. I put way too much of an effort to be chastised for one decision that frankly, is totally personal.

Just my 2 cents.
You sure did take my opinion personal like. I didn't say a thing about you. Last time I checked you don't have kids, never mind kids in sposies.

I was commenting on the "hassle" comment I get ALL the time.

You do what you want. Its not my problem and frankly, I don't care.

With regards to the tampons being green comment. Di you have any idea how much water and chemicals it takes to produce them? Lots.

I don't use cloth liners because I think they are vile. But I use a menstrual cup and it makes me feel good to know I'm doing my part. Same goes for cloth dipes.

As I said, I don't care if you or anyone else uses sposies. Just don't tell me that my planet is not worth your "hassle".
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site