Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Resident fainting goat

Default Carrying around a tazer..

crazy? or a good idea?

My dad recently bought me a tazer. It's pink lol to anyone interested I found the exact model http://www.amazon.com/Terminator-800...keywords=tazer

I've never used it yet..obviously. but my dad is really adamant about me keeping one in my backpack and one in my apartment just in case.

Do you think this kind of thing is necessary?
I'll be moving to Boston in september but I dunno.. I just want opinions/experiences.

It has a safety feature so it doesn't go off accidentally and isn't dangerous/cause permanent damage.. so it's not that I'm scared of the thing. I dunno, I guess I just think it's a rather weird thing to carry around/have in my apartment lol

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM
*Now with Snark*

I am not a fan of handheld shock sticks. IMO if you're at the point of hand to hand statistically as a woman - you lose unless you are very versed in hand to hand using these things. Better IMO is bear mace or a real gun with lots of practice.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Top Dog

The people I've seen them used on don't go down but it may give you enough time to get away.

I don't like mace. Most people spray themselves and are then screwed to.

Just be alert. Have a way out. Don't be cornered.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Taxiderpy

I'd rather have one of those mace gels you can spray from a distance that gloops on their face. If they're close enough for you to tase it wouldn't be hard to take it away and use it on you.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't carry it :/ Most tasers sold to the public suck to be shocked by but they won't take a full grown man down. Probably wouldn't take a full grown woman down either.

If it comes to the point your life is in danger you need to use something that WILL hurt and leave damage or find a way to get out as fast as you can. Most that taser would do is make whoever is coming after you more pissed off.

And remember you have to be close enough to reach them to shock them, which is how close they have to be to stab you.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

just like w/guns, people can make up all kinds of scenarios good and bad. but here are some simple unchanging truths:
better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
any weapon is better than none.
he who hits first usually hits last.

ETA effective self defense is a mindset or attitude directing the tools you equip yourself with.
your first choice of tool should be situational awareness to avoid & minimize risk.
youe second tool should keep distance & obstacles between you & the threat w/o obstructing your exit.
if they close the distance, your third tool should do maximum permanent damage with the minimum of skill & practice.
your last tool should be the skill & fitness to use your own body to maim & kill (yes, kill. if it's worth fighting it's worth killing).

Last edited by Pops2; 08-18-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Walks into Mordor

I don't think it's weird at all. But if you do decide to start carrying it, be sure you know how it works and feel confident handling it. Practice being able to take it out and flip off the safety quickly. If you ever need to use it, you'll need it immediately. Spending time fumbling with a weapon you're not comfortable with and can't operate is worse than having no weapon at all.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Love my pets

Massachusetts has some strick laws. I just found this:

It is illegal to own or to sell a Taser or any other type of stun gun in Massachusetts
Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

If a rapist or killer broke into your home, that tazer or any wounding would likely just **** him off and he'd be coming back to get you. I think a gun Is much better if you learn how to use it. If someone broke in my house, I'd shoot to kill. Then he could not return to finish what he started or sue me. He'd probably win that.

On my cell phone. I hate spell check.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Just try me..

See and what I was taught in self defence classes back when, and seems the data backs it up. Being a difficult target deters the vast majority of attackers. If people want to carry a gun and its legal where they live fine. But guns are often used against their owners too. And that never seems to dissuade people.

I think its a good idea Fran. I agree on the get confortable using it idea.