Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm All Ears

I think everyone gets cold feet. I remember panicking quite a few times bringing Mia home and immediately after and thinking 'what have I done!?' Especially after she screamed and threw up for the first 6 hours on the way home.

Every now and then I sit and think about my next dog and how much of a change that will be since my two are so perfect and easy together and I panic again.

I wouldn't blame him and I don't think that means he's 'not ready'. I think it's normal. As long as he's committed to working through it it will be fine.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I also think that everyone gets cold feet. Before going to pick up Emma, I still went back and forth on whether or not I wanted to go through with it! AND, that was my 5th time getting a puppy, so I had plenty of experience with raising them! Each dog is a big committment- financially, emotionally, and they take a lot of time! After having Emma for a few days I knew I made the right decision, and wondered why I even hesitated.

Has he ever had a puppy before? I can understand how scary it would be to "start from scratch," especially if he's heard GSPs are crazy (I've never met a crazy one, by the way!).

Hopefully once he meets the breeder and parents (and sees how absolutely adorable the puppers are!) he'll change his mind and get excited again.

Good luck! I hope that you'll both be back on the same "YAY PUPPY!" page soon, especially since I'm selfish and want to see more pictures of adorable GSP puppies!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Aww...silly guy!

I totally get this though. My other half never had a puppy before we got Watson. He was used to his families beagle mix

Watson was quite a surprise to him...but he loves him even when Watson has one of his more nutty days.

I am sure when he sees the dogs and pups at the breeder's it will help. There is also no not falling in love with a little jellybean puppy once you get the little guy home. The puppy will work his own magic on your boyfriend I am sure

Boys are just silly sometimes!

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Try not to be too upset. Everyone has doubts sometimes, its completely normal. He probably just needs to get his worries out of his system, and once it comes to puppy time, he will be OK, I'm sure. Just like Dads, babies and pregnancies. Most Dads to be will have some sort of little freak about having a baby, but once the baby comes along, they wonder what they were panicking about!

My Photos
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Every dog I have ever brought home-even fosters-I have thought OMG why! as I am cleaning up poop and dealing with issues. But a couple of days,sometimes maybe even months into it things calm down and you have your routine settled down and you don't think that anymore.

It is scary,especially with people saying this is the right way and this is the right way etc.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Top Dog

I always freak out before adding new dog. Can I do this? Will it work? etc etc.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm All Ears

There's a GSP in one of my classes now and I LOVE him. He's such a derp and hilarious. I don't think I've ever met a funnier dog. The biggest problem with him is he's obsessed with bugs and crickets especially and so will often just out of nowhere go pounce on a bug (in the middle of agility no-less).
Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Sit! Good dog.

It's his first puppy. He keeps comparing to bodhi and saying she's ok, we're settled, why change things. Totally valid points, but he never had or met bodhi when she was a puppy so he has no idea lol!

You're all right, I don't for one second think he's horrid for being wary or questioning it, but his timing SUCKS. And I've told EVERYONE....!!! In the whole world!!

I might read him some of these responses.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

I think it is pretty normal to be nervous when you have a big life change, and adding new pets is a big life change, especially a puppy. The great thing is, as time goes by, you will adjust to two dog and it would feel like you have always had two.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Puppy is coming home

Panic over.

For now I am pretty sure there will be more stress to come............
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein