Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

Default OMG! What do I do??? H-a-a-a-l-p

First of all, I have wonderful neighbors. I chit chat with one next door neighbor quite a bit...very nice and she has nice children. I like how she treats her children. (as opposed to some other ones across the road, but that's another thread)

Here's my problem. This one next door neighbor doesn't have a dog, but babysits for someone's dog from time to time, sometimes for a few days at a time. She is gone to work all day and leaves this Lab out in the back yard A-L-L day long, from early morning to around 6 or 7 at night. This poor thing cries, whines this long, drawn out, mournful sobbing for long stretches of time, with some barking thrown in. She digs under the fence somewhat and I'm afraid she'll dig herself right out one of these days. That though, doesn't seem to be excessive. This dog is clearly suffering separation anxiety and it's also VERY hot these days. Today it should be over 90. There is shade and a bucket of water I think, as far as I can tell by looking over the fence. (I see a 5 gal bucket under the faucet, but can't tell if there's water or not...probably is) This mournful, howling, barking, and whining is not only down right upsetting, as my heart breaks for this dog, but it's also annoying as hell.

I don't want to make any waves with this person. I hate the thought of having ANY animosity between neighbors here. And heaven knows, I've created my own share of obnoxious noises with my landscaping project. It's been like a construction zone around here. So, it's not primarily the noise that's bothering me, but more the way it makes me so sad to see this dog suffering loneliness all day. She doesn't appear to be responsive or friendly toward me when I talk to her over the fence.

What would you do?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I would talk to your neighbour politly. And explain your concerns for the dog. You must be an awesome neighbour because the noise would drive me crazy.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'd talk to her. She may not know that the dog is so upset, since she's gone.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Top Dog

Yes, I would approach it as "you may not realize this but when you are gone, the dog is really upset" type thing.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Yes, I would approach it as "you may not realize this but when you are gone, the dog is really upset" type thing.
Yup, I would do that. Take a video of the noise etc. and just let her know, she may not even realize the dog is fussing - it may be left in the yard at home and be fine, but a different yard....
Old 08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Taxiderpy

Maybe approach her by asking if she can introduce you to the dog. Explain that it's crying that heartbreaking sobbing sound all day but isn't responsive to you, and that you're hoping if the dog knows you're a friend you can say hi and pet her and she won't be so sad?

Blah, that's horribly written but my brain is somewhat fried right now. lol
Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Maybe approach her by asking if she can introduce you to the dog. Explain that it's crying that heartbreaking sobbing sound all day but isn't responsive to you, and that you're hoping if the dog knows you're a friend you can say hi and pet her and she won't be so sad?

Blah, that's horribly written but my brain is somewhat fried right now. lol
I was thinking of something like this... but that depends on what you mean by the dog seems "not friendly" to you

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Well Jess, the dog is disinterested in me. And she has said that the dog is not into strangers, which is so unlike a Lab. Maybe it's a mix. Actually, I did mention something very lightly once, which I forgot to mention in my op. I think she brought it up when I asked if she got a new dog. She explained she was taking care of it. I think that's when I said something about the dog crying when she was gone. Her gesture was regret, like, "awww." She knew but didn't know what to do about it. I don't think I said much or told her that this goes on all freakin' day almost. She doesn't know, (I don't think) how intense it is. I would ONLY say it as gingerly as possible. But it seems like no matter how nice you are or sympathetic, people tend to feel sort of irritated with you. I don't think she'd let it show. But I just think people hate people getting into their business. Am I wrong?

Well....I guess I'll brave it tonight maybe when she gets home. And just say something like, "this dog is really stressed out all day with separation anxiety. She sobs and cries, digs and carries on. It really makes me sad. Is there anything I can do to make her time a little better? Do you think if I came over for a little bit each day, it would help at all? Maybe if I come over and visit her first with you here and bring some goodies, she'd like it???"

What do you think? Thanks guys. I knew you'd understand.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 PM
and Fozzie B!

Its a good idea and really nice of you to offer to visit her! Since you're such an awesome trainer, offer her training tips for sa. Vigorous exercise before leaving, crating her inside with a stuffed Kong, and maybe if you're at home during the day you can take her on a walk while your neighbor is gone.

My neighbor has a westie who howls and howls all day when she's gone. I felt bad for her as she's a single mom with two little kids, so I have him over if I'm home all day or take him on a walk and give him a stuffed kong if I have to leave. My dogs love him so its a bonus.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

Maybe I could offer to walk the dog, but I tell you...I get busy walking my own and my son's dog when she's here, plus I have a ton of work around here. But maybe just a quicky walk. I think it's miserably hot for any dog to be staying outside all day. It's really into the dangerous zone, I think...about 95. Don't people think about that? There is shade but sheesh, it's hot. Isn't that dangerous for dogs?

Today, on my way home from my daughter's, I stopped at Lowes (big hardware store) to get a fridge filter. And I thought...oh no. I have my dogs. I couldn't dream of leaving them in the car, even for a short time, even with windows open and even though there was a shady spot. So, I took them in with me and asked a checker if it was okay. I was given the affirmative, so they walked around with me. They liked that. Even Chulita was rarin' to go and she's become so afraid to go on walks here. (I talked about that in another thread...her vision problem) She wasn't afraid of anything and was wagging and wanting to visit with people left and right. What do you make of that? I think too, they liked that cool, concrete floor. Maybe we should make that a place to go for a walk especially for Chulita.

Well, anyhow, I'm going o have to think of something because this is just not a good situation. She's also a single mom with kids. And very nice. So, I don't want to make her feel badly. I don't think she can vigorously exercise that dog. She has two little kids and she is up early getting them off to somewhere and herself off to work. I think the dog must suffer the same way when the owner is home because I think she said it's her ex husband's dog. LOL. So, he's off at work too. I feel so sorry for dogs that get so upset like that. If I'm gone all day, which is only occasional, my dogs couldn't care less.

Thomas Jefferson