Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
If you can get some computer skills that is one of the biggest selling points. The things they liked on my resume were the math degree and science classes and then my computer programming classes. Being functional in excel and other software was also really helpful, even photoshop and hex editors that I used for games as a teen. (The funny thing is I use a very similar hex editor now for work lol) Even if it's the wrong soft ware, it shows you can learn other software. That's assuming you're meaning an office/technical kind of job.

A lot of mine was luck. 99% of my job I learned on the job... But you really do have to show your capacity for learning in the field that they're after.
Great post!

Look for entry level positions, such as a secretary job, and try to work your way up.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM
orange iguanas.

I stalk Craigslist a lot and often there are interesting jobs that pop up on there, depending on what you're looking for.... doesn't hurt to apply to anything that sounds appealing. You could make your resume sound pretty awesome too cuz your job is not just "I stood at a cash register all day." For myself I play up the customer service bit of it and educating customers about food/products because that's very relevant to the jobs I apply to.

Knowing people works too, my sister got started in HR at a law firm in her early 20s with no degree, and has only worked her way up since then - all because she knew the right people.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks guys.

As for what I want to do, right now pretty much anything that doesn't involve dealing with JQP. I'm just getting burned out on dealing with people who are being stupid and their pets suffering for it.

I really do need to finish my degree, but I worry that I will dump more money into a degree and then STILL not have any options. I'd almost rather just start over and try some kind of tech school or cert.

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

My son posted an ad on Craigslist . He said he was in college looking for a job. His computer skills and the desire to learn any job. A guy from a law firm emailed him and he got a job as the second guy in the it dept for a law firm. He really is the doubly for the it guy but he is learning and makeing pretty good money. Give it a try.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

What do you want to end up making salary wise realistically? Look into what you could do now and do school or apprentice etc.

I know nursing is not for everyone. But hospitals will pay for your school and get you your masters or nurse practitioner. You may have to do med surf but it's a decent paying job. Look into behavioral health tech. I love the psych!

Highway patrol hires frequently. I know a couple people testing now.

I don't know what tellers make or if they move up in a bank but I see positions open here.

Ford is hiring again here on and off but they don't make what they used to.

Get a good resume and get it out there. And good luck!

I kinda want to just do insurance some days to not have to deal with people!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber