Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

Default Here's the thing....

First, I want to say how much I enjoy being friends with many of you on this forum. I love that my beliefs bring me close to those with the same beliefs, and I love that my beliefs, which are the polar opposite of some others' beliefs, do not stop us from also having a friendship.

I've been in many discussion recently on my stance with the whole gay marriage issue. I've made people on both sides mad. But I think it's important for each person to have the opportunity to explain what they believe and why. In addition, it just makes for good discussion.

Gay Marriage:

I'm not for nor against it. In truth, I think the federal government needs to get out of it. At the most, it should be a state governing issue. At the least, just make it legal already and move past it.

My feelings on homosexuality are complicated. I think people are who they are. I have friends, who are a "lesbian couple" (although I don't bother thinking of them that way), and I know for a fact that 1 is in the relationship after a horrid 15-year marriage with an abusive husband. She has openly said that she couldn't look at men the same way. For her, this was a "choice". For her partner, also my friend, she had always known she was "different" (aren't we all....lol). Thus it could be said she was "born this way".

Here's the thing: no matter what someone does, I hate sin. But I don't hate the sinner (I'd be my own #1 hater! ).

In fact, my heart breaks that we treat others, especially those struggling with feelings and emotions they cannot get a grip on, with disdain. God doesn't love the "in-crowd". Jesus didn't hang around the good kids who never did anything wrong.

I don't get why we can't open our arms and love people and show them kindenss.

I am very close to one particular cousin, and to be frank, I always thought he was gay (or would be gay). I just always had that feeling. He, too, was brought up in the Baptist church, but they switched to Greek Orthodox when he was about 15. We're in our 30's now. It breaks my heart to watch him struggle with his own sexuality, especially the feelings of wanting to love and be loved by that one special person, and yet struggle with his perception of what the Bible says. He attends church every Sunday, and he enjoys that time. But at the same time, he's waging an internal battle between religion and himself. Here's the thing: religion is MAN-MADE. It's not about religion; it's about a personal relationship with God.

Yes, I've read the Bible from front to back and back to the front again. I've done numerous Bible studies throughout my life. I took 4 years of Bible classes in high school. I know what the Bible says.

It is not my place in this world to pass judgment and condemn someone (I'm not talking about a thief going to court...I'm talking about the person himself/herself). That's not my place, and it's specifically talked about and looked down upon in the Bible. Yes, we all make judgements on a daily basis - it's what helps us to make our own decisions as to what is right or wrong and whether or not we should do it or not. That kind of judgement happens. But it's not my place to turn my back on someone who is gay, nor on someone who told a lie or stole something or who had an abortion. I may not like and/or condone the action, but it doesn't mean I don't like or love the person. Heck, I'll be the first to admit I'm soooooooooooooooo not perfect (I know, I know....hard to imagine, ain't it ).

I always hope that people know they can come to me regardless of differences. I pray that people know that I wouldn't ever turn my back on them based upon their sexuality. The only job God gave me is to love and be a vessel for His grace. I'm to stand up for what I believe in, and I'm to be the best example I can be. I'm to witness, not just by words, but by actions. I'm not perfect. I've made mistakes. I'm a good ol' sinner. I'm not to forsake my beliefs for what is popular, but I'm also not to distort my beliefs to apply them in a manner they are not truly applicable (if that makes sense).

I want to thank y'all for reading this rambling post. I'm not even sure why I felt the need to write it, but I just did. As much as I love having friends and friendships with those different from me, I love that those same people respect me for who I am and are willing to put in the same level of attention to establish a mutual friendship.

Difference shouldn't equal hatred.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Felurian

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Ghandi

Now, whether he actually said those exact words or not, I think he would have liked you very much indeed.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

That was beautifully written.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
<--------Orson

First of all *PHEW* This post started out like a GOOD BYE! Thought I'd missed some horrendous thread (as happens due to my powers of observation, LOL) So glad it's not! LOL

Let me say that I identify with your post.........I could easily sign my name to it, that's how I see myself

Quote:
The only job God gave me is to love and be a vessel for His grace. I'm to stand up for what I believe in, and I'm to be the best example I can be. I'm to witness, not just by words, but by actions. I'm not perfect. I've made mistakes. I'm a good ol' sinner. I'm not to forsake my beliefs for what is popular, but I'm also not to distort my beliefs to apply them in a manner they are not truly applicable (if that makes sense).
Exactly.

So many Christians want it both ways, they want to LIVE by the new testament, and want OTHERS to be measured by the old testament. Doesn't work that way.

I'm a Christian, I make mistakes, I sin, I sincerely ask forgiveness, dust myself off and try hard to do better.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Thank you for writing this. This is how I feel about it. I feel like in this day and age if you disagree with somethig someone does it automatically equates to HATE and judgement of the person (although those who say you hate or judge are usually also judging you in that moment but that is another kettle of fish)

Hate the sin love the sinner. I am a sinner... We all are but I don't have to love everyones actions in order to love the person.

I don't fight to keep gay Unions illegal. I don't agree with homosexuality but I don't actively fight against them ... Of course I couldn't even if I wanted to because I can't vote here anyway but still. I don't boycott companies that support "gay rights foundations". For me... If you have good customer service and a good product I really don't care what your personal beliefs are as log ad you aren't himan tafficking in the back room or somethig. Idon't go to chick fil a because the founder doesn't believe in gay marriage. I go because i like their food, their customer service is out of this world, they have a great play area and they employ people who might not oterwise have a job without one extra company in town.

Love each other, always. I fail at that a lot. We all do.

Faith... A personal relationship with God. That's where it's at

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

Mia
i think the goverment needs to get out of the marriage business as well. I think they need to recognize all unions as the private contracts they are and leave it at that.
i too think a great many people (on both sides of the issue) are confusing disapproval of the act with hate for the person.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Wonderful! totally on the same page as you as a christian.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 08-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Obey the Toad.

Thank you *so much* for writing this.....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

Miakoda I agree SO much with about everything you said your the type of Christian that makes me proud to be associated with you a a sister of Christ. I could never be ashamed of my faith but there have been many a time I have been ashamed to be associated with many other Christians! And that is so very very sad.

My view point goes right along with my thoughts or interracial marriage. If it is between consenting adults it is NOT the governments place to be in your bed or your marriage. If you want to be in a homosexual interracial polygamist find other homosexual interracial polygamist's and have at it it is no ones business who you choice to spend the rest of your life with.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

The bible may not support homosexual marriage (I'll have to take the word of others on that statement as I've never read the bible), but marriage isn't exclusively Christian.

As a Wiccan I do not see homosexuality as sinful and I do not see any reason why Christians should have any say in who I can marry.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team