Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
and Fozzie B!

I can only speak for myself... But I'd NEVER get a puppy when I had a 7 month old. My rule is no new dogs until my current dogs are fully trained. And then I wait about 5 years on top of that I just don't feel it's fair to either dog, and a puppy will quickly pick up any bad habits or issues that other dogs in their family have. Aren't you dealing with reactivity issues with your RR? Imagine dealing with that on top of a brand new, insanely high drive puppy.

They could be Mals, but it's much more likely that they're Sheppy mixes.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I can only speak for myself... But I'd NEVER get a puppy when I had a 7 month old. My rule is no new dogs until my current dogs are fully trained. And then I wait about 5 years on top of that I just don't feel it's fair to either dog, and a puppy will quickly pick up any bad habits or issues that other dogs in their family have. Aren't you dealing with reactivity issues with your RR? Imagine dealing with that on top of a brand new, insanely high drive puppy.

They could be Mals, but it's much more likely that they're Sheppy mixes.
The bolded I agree with, from some of your other posts, you seem to have a pretty busy schedule and dealing with reactivity issue's with your RR, so maybe its just best to wait till those are getting a little better

As far as adding a puppy with another dog that young..I can't say much LOL! Gunner was around 7 mnths when we added 6 mnth old Sierra And Lilly was around 6 mnths when we added 10 week old Roxy, however, we didn't have any kind of issue's going on and I am home 24/7 with my dogs.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Professional Nerd

A lot of breeds and mixes are fawn with a black mask. While Malinois are getting more and more popular, chances of a found orphan litter being Malinois are pretty unlikely.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
A lot of breeds and mixes are fawn with a black mask. While Malinois are getting more and more popular, chances of a found orphan litter being Malinois are pretty unlikely.
I agree with this. These look like really young pups. It appears their eyes aren't even open yet, which would put them more at between 1-2 weeks. It is nearly impossible to even begin to guess breed on such young puppies, other than color, sometimes coat (like curly coated dogs have wavy coats when they are young) and physical oddities like brachy breeds puppies at that age all look relatively similar. So really, I won't say one thing or another about the pros and cons of Mals. There is a huge range of temperament in the breed, you can get one that's pretty easy as far as high drive, quirky dogs go or you could get an extreme one who's fairly difficult but that is neither here nor there as chances are pretty good that these are NOT Mals.

If you're really interested in a rescue Mal, ABMC always has plenty of every age range.