Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Default Tell me "No".

So there is a rescue around here that I am close with...And they recently found 8 puppies. They're 3 weeks and LOOK like Belgian Malinois...but I'm no expert. They're such cute, little wriggly things.

But tell me no. Tell me I can't handle this breed of dog. I really need you guys to talk me out of it...LOL. I'm also hoping that may not be their breed...but well, here are some pics of one.

Also looks younger than 3 weeks to me, but that's what the rescue said.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

Can you afford another dog?

Can you give the exercise and mental stimulation to this breed of dog? (if it is a Mal)

If the answer is yes, are you sure you thinking for real?

Those are the biggest questions you need to ask yourself.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Taxiderpy

I was about to say no.

Then I scrolled down and saw the white tippy toes. <3
Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Top Dog

Am I wrong on the breed guess? I mean, I know it's hard to tell...but it REALLY looks like a Mal to me!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Glutton for Crazy

My dogs have broken my front windshield in the car going into a guard and my female has broken through our grandmothers glass sliding door going after a ball. They don't like strangers unless introduced properly and make it known with noise. They aren't great with strange dogs. They've made me bleed more times than not, it's basically not training unless I walk away with some kind of wound. They're demanding and they don't settle easily.

What about their irrational guarding, impulsivity, lack of bite inhibition, overt noisiness, ridiculous energy, and so forth attracts you?

I guess the real question is, if those are mals, why would you want a belgian malinois?

(Did that help? )
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Top Dog

Tahlz, I can afford another dog. I can give the exercise needed... I just don't know if I SHOULD, if that makes sense.

And I love their attitude. I've met a few and I'm highly attracted to such intense dogs. I mean, Rhodesian Ridgebacks are also notoriously difficult dogs...and I love mine.

I like the idea of something so guardy, so serious...just intense. It's hard to explain really. Most of the breeds I have gotten have just fallen onto my lap.

My big question to myself is SHOULD I. I know most of us here can afford another dog, but the reason we don't get one is because there's a certain point where the responsible thing is to just wait. But, I don't know. I suppose this seems more appealing since the opportunity to get the puppy is here, staring me in the face.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Looks like a lot of standard shepherd mixes, to me. Impossible to tell at that age

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I definitely agree:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Looks like a lot of standard shepherd mixes, to me. Impossible to tell at that age
However, if you're attracted to the novelty I would think long and hard, if you haven't already. I would foster first, they're cool definitely but they can become less cool at times.

They're actually very easy dogs when it comes to training but they're difficult to live with in some situations.

Foster, be sure the breed suits you, and go from there, IMO. Also I would either buy well bred or adopt an established dog, at least until I had my bearings.

Do you have any plans to work/sport with the dog?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Top Dog

Possibly. I would already be doing recreational sports with my dogs if we weren't so far out from things. I'm going to see if I can foster the puppies... But I do feel it's best to wait. I already have a 7 month old puppy and it's really not the most responsible thing to get a new one right now.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:37 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I agree with you fostering. You can see how they grow and what their temperaments are like.

They are ADORABLE!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)