Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 PM
orange iguanas.

My friend's cocker has seizures on occasion. Maybe once or twice a year. He's not medicated for it because they happen so infrequently... I guess my advice would just be to log as much information about it as possible; day, time, weather, everything that happened leading up to it... and do that for any that happen in the future to see if there's a common thread. My friend hasn't been able to identify any similarities between her dog's seizures.

Hopefully it's just a one time thing.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Hannah, my rat terrier, who is 11 (will be 12 in a month) and living with my mom has had seizures. She had her first one around 3 and had a few more for the next couple months. She continued to have a few until about 6 and then they just stopped. We tried every test, spent a lot of money, and in the end because they were not frequent enough we decided against meds.

She would get pretty violent ones that would void bowels and urine and then when she was done she would look dead for a few minutes, then exhausted, then finally back to normal. The recovery took at least 15 minutes and the actual seizures took a few minutes or less.

She has since supposedly had some brain damage (vet thinks) and some lasting neurological issues, she has some shakes in her front legs and teeth chatter if she's not doing anything, but otherwise she's honest to god a very happy, healthy dog.

I was with her about a month ago and she was running around with the malinois. She was playing, biting, goofy as hell. She'll also still put up a dangerously good fight with Shamoo, they've always loathed one another.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
How old is Macky? Could she maybe just have vertigo instead of seizuring? I've had vertigo before and it can def make you nauseous!
She's 7! I was wondering about vertigo or vestibular disease as well.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm All Ears

With Summer, I had to give her nutrical and force feed her. She went off food/water for a while after her seizure and then started acting hypoglycemic.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

(((((hugs)))))) Chloe's had a few seizures. Our vet said what yours did, that unless they become worse/more frequent, she won't need meds. I heard that foods can cause seizures so I switched her to grain free and she hasn't had once since. Of course I have no clue if it's the food or if she just hasn't had one, but it's been at least two years since she's had a (noticeable) seizure. I think you already feed grain free though, so I don't know. Hopefully it was a one time thing. I know how horridly scary they are.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
(((((hugs)))))) Chloe's had a few seizures. Our vet said what yours did, that unless they become worse/more frequent, she won't need meds. I heard that foods can cause seizures so I switched her to grain free and she hasn't had once since. Of course I have no clue if it's the food or if she just hasn't had one, but it's been at least two years since she's had a (noticeable) seizure. I think you already feed grain free though, so I don't know. Hopefully it was a one time thing. I know how horridly scary they are.
Yeah I feed raw actually.

She's finally resting comfortably. *sigh*

Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Top Dog

Aww Emily, I'm sorry its a horrible thing to go through. My first Lurcher, Wispa, had epilepsy, but as I was only 13 at the time, I don't remember a great deal about her fits, it was a long time ago now.

However I'm sure you remember Breagha, she had her first one when she was 12. Her's were caused by hypoglycemia, and we would have maybe a minutes warning before she was about to go into one, she would have a glazed look in her eye and wobble a bit. We would give her honey and a digestive biscuit and that would bring her sugars up and sometimes stop the fit. Sometimes it wasn't enough and she would have one anyway. All we could do was let her get it out of her system. Not to interfere incase she bit us or injured herself.

As strange as it may sound, we found she wanted to walk after she had one. Walking and walking, so that's what we did. It seemed to calm her down, being out and about.

Sending vibes for Mackenzy.

My Photos
Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Top Dog

I'm late (as per usual) but ((((hugs)))) anyway. I've not witnessed one firsthand but seizures are freaking scary. I hope you and Macky are doing better today!

Oh and my sister's 150 lb St. Bernard mix had a seizure last year - the only one he's ever had. Hopefully Macky's was a one off also.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Bite Club

So sorry - I hope it is a rare occurrence and doesn't happen again! I had a Golden that started to have seizures when he got older and I know how scary they can be!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

Crossing fingers that it was just a random occurrence!