Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 12-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

I'm with Yucka ...I had one pup ( sold) that had one, but it went away on it's own.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Top Dog

My puppy had a small umbilical hernia too and we had it closed when she was spayed. Since it was small, she may not have really needed it but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think it cost somewhere around $40. I guess the thing is, if it doesn't close on its own, your pup will have to have additional surgery somewhere down the line so may as well take care of it while he is under for the neutering.

Pam
Old 12-23-2005, 05:47 AM
yuckaduck

The bigger one you are showing in your picture is what Yukon's was like. It closed fine on its own.

The small one is what Faith has and since she is 4 weeks old now, she will be left. The option is always there to have it fixed when she is spayed but that will not be for a while and I suspect it will be closed on its own by then.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

I guess its a personal choice but I wouldnt breed form a bith that had this problem, its just another thing to worry about with the pups
Old 12-23-2005, 06:41 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
I guess its a personal choice but I wouldnt breed form a bith that had this problem, its just another thing to worry about with the pups
No me either! Faith is a mutt anyway so for she she will be spayed, just not today. She is 4 weeks old. But when she is 4-6 months she will be spayed, that is the vets advice on when the best time is.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

yep a lot of vets say around 6 months for a large breed before the first season
Old 12-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Crayons' mommy

It would be wonderful if these healed on their own!!! Each of the puppies and the mama are being spayed/neutered. I wanted to make sure their new families had an idea of the cost and this gives me another reason to make sure they follow through. Thanks again.