Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Do your dogs give off the right impression?

If you're in public and someone is meeting your dog for the first time, do they get a good feel for them?

Why i'm asking is because my two come off totally backwards when people meet them at first. Summer is so outgoing that she's usually bouncing all over the place, tail going 100 mph, grinning and spinning, going through her tricks, etc. Mia just stands there and ignores people,

I get sooo many comments about how Mia is SO much calmer than Summer and I want to laugh. I was at petsmart today and the girl that was working the register actually said 'Wow this one got all the personality, didn't she?' No one ever buys that it's actually Mia that is more active. They always think she's a calm, meek little thing and that Summer is the most active dog ever. At home, Summer is lazy as can be and Mia is the one that can hardly sit still.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Sport Model Pug

Izzie typically is very sweet and lovey. This causes some people to not believe me when i say she's a great agility dog.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

"Wow, she's so calm and well-behaved! I want a dog like that! She must be great in the house. Is she done being trained then?"

All. the. time.

False.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

If by the right impressions you mean:

"Do you love me? I love you! I just met you this second but I love you so you have to love me right?? RIGHT??"

Then yes.

The first thing most people say when they first meet Yoshi is 'she's so happy!'.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Roseys a snob to people. So no

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
"Wow, she's so calm and well-behaved! I want a dog like that! She must be great in the house. Is she done being trained then?"

All. the. time.

False.
This.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

Not at all. I mean, Meg kind of does. She's insanely sweet and soft and polite when she meets people out in public. She makes everyone feel like they are her favorite person.

Gusto treats people like they are the dirt on the bottom of his foot. He won't even look at them. He'll stand and tolerate being pet or something, but - it's like he doesn't even feel it. He'll move away in the middle if something else distracts him.

At home, he is such a huge snuggle bug with everybody. If you come into our house, he will be on your lap or head in seconds. He adores the world. And he Never. Stops. Moving.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 PM
such sights to show you

Squash and Maisy are pretty wysiwyg.

Pip, though... because he can be a bit shy of and serious around strangers, a lot of people don't realize how cuddly and sweet he is and how silly he can be with people he knows.

Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

Gusto treats people like they are the dirt on the bottom of his foot. He won't even look at them. He'll stand and tolerate being pet or something, but - it's like he doesn't even feel it. He'll move away in the middle if something else distracts him.
That right there is Rosey.

Allie has only known Rosey for... What, 8 years now? When we went on our hike, come the end of it she acknowledged allies presence... When she had treats out. Other than that, to Rosey it was like it was me, her and an annoying dog following her.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I was at PetSmart once with both boys and Auggie was being a people ***** as usual, and Payton was meanwhile checking out all the stuff on the shelves with his back to the employee who was loving on Auggie. The employee said, of Payton, "This one's the shy one, huh?" I just started laughing. No, he's not shy, but the shelves smell of a million different dogs, and YOU sir have no cookies... so the shelves of a million smells are winning! Sorry, but that's just how it is. Maybe you should be more interesting LOL. Or maybe not, because I don't think you REALLY want Payton's full interest in something unleashed on you...

People do tend to think my dogs are very calm because they are well trained and generally behave well in public. Calm definitely isn't the word... "good dog" is.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog