Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
I feel like this isn't really a fair requirement of any dog. Yes some breeds are more friendly to other dogs/animals than others, but dog (and other animals) are animals and will act like animals, which includes not always getting along with other animals even animals they sorta like most of the time.

And to anthropomorphize for a moment... do you like every single person you meet? Would you feel it fair that you HAD to like every single person you met on the street? Add in that animals do not come with the morals and ethics that allow us to act one way and think another... Just saying!
But you could say that about any of the requirements. "Needs to be drivey/energetic/fun" you can get BC's, Field bred Goldens etc that come from lines that have all that typically but manage to get a fluke that doesn't and it's not "fair" to them to say they need to have it.

This thread seems to be made on generalities rather than anything else so I think adding "no interhouse animal aggression" is fair and valid, just as much as saying you don't want DA or HA in your "perfect breed"
Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

I have asked my husband this question a few times, what his perfect, ideal breed of choice is, and his answer is always "Charlotte". lol

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

For me, it sounds weird but, I really don't have many "must haves" or even deal breakers (except major aggression) just mostly preferences.

Any "must haves" for me are mostly training things, so I'd say my must have would be biddablity/trainability. I mostly just prefer well mannered dogs. The rest is negotiable. I like and would likely own many different breeds all varying greatly from one another.

I want my next dog to be a Whippet, then in no specific order I'd eventually like to own a Dachshund, Chihuahua, Alaskan Klee Kai (if I get a chance to meet some), Greyhound, Border Collie, Sheltie, and surely more I can't currently think of. That's not including the rescue mutts I want someday lol! So yeah, pretty varying physically and care wise, even personality wise (though several go along with my "must have" of trainability).

So yeah...confusing lol!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Felurian

Easy.

A proper Fila

And then a proper APBT.

Since Bimmer's a one of a kind <3

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
I feel like this isn't really a fair requirement of any dog. Yes some breeds are more friendly to other dogs/animals than others, but dog (and other animals) are animals and will act like animals, which includes not always getting along with other animals even animals they sorta like most of the time.

And to anthropomorphize for a moment... do you like every single person you meet? Would you feel it fair that you HAD to like every single person you met on the street? Add in that animals do not come with the morals and ethics that allow us to act one way and think another... Just saying!
I really don't think it is unfair. Blackie and Rose lived together for 12 years and they never once fought. Ever. They did not like strange dogs and were very territorial, but even then, I was able to introduce other dogs into the family and they accepted it because "strange dog" did not equal "dog we are used to". Cynder, Gracie, and Cooper all live together in a tiny apartment...no problems.
I do not want to deal with dogs that can't be loose in the same room with one another for fear of them fighting. I've done it. It sucks. I don't want to do it again.

As for anthropomorphizing...I don't like everyone I meet. I don't socialize with everyone on the street. Nor do I expect my dogs to. But do I try to actively kill my siblings? No. Nor do I want my dogs to.

Now, to keep the peace am I willing to make sure the new dog I'm bringing in meshes well with the current dogs? Sure. I don't want dogs that don't mesh well. That's the entire point.

Another side of the "no interhouse aggression" part also is in regards to pocket pets and non-dog animals. I don't want to have a dog that actively tries to kill the other pets in the house. Now, I can understand if the dog and non-dog animal can't be loose together...but the dog better not be trying to eat the non-dog animal when the non-dog animal is caged.
What I *really* like is a dog that can differentiate between "family pets" and "strange animals". Chloe is really good at this with non-dog animals, as is Rose. They both critter and they both will also chase cats, but they ignore/enjoy our own personal animals. Chloe goes one step farther and actually protects our own personal animals.
I like the "livestock guardian" mentality. Any animal, once introduced properly, is accepted...but strange animals are guarded against.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm All Ears

Obviously everything is a generalization to some extent. I've lived with 3 shelties that were in many ways very different from each other. And 7 papillons who ran the gambit of the breed's temperament. Mia is very very different than Rose. I think everyone knows that the likelihood of getting a whole BREED that behaves the way you like is not going to happen. However you can stack the odds in your favor.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

criteria: strong prey drive, strong work ethic, biddable, low maintenance coat, low goofball factor

breeds: smooth & broken coated terriers- pat, fell, jrt, rat & feists; curs including houla, plott, ridgeback, BMC & lacy; scent hounds- beagles, basset, welsh foxhound, american foxhounds, plott; sighthounds- grey, whippet, stag, deer; birddogs-pointers, field setters & spaniels; bull & mastives, and mixes of these (not a complete or exhaustive list)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Show Dog

You can get a Golden Retriever.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 AM
Taxiderpy

I'm pretty thrilled with my bozos, and can't imagine not having at least one around at all times. They're just so easy to live with, get along so well with each other and everyone else, smart enough you can teach them to leave your stock alone but they still love to chase stuff and hunt. They're smart and potty train easy.

The only thing really missing for me is most of them aren't interested in nose work unless they're working toward a good chase once they find whatever they're tracking. Some day I'd like a good tracking dog, but I'm kind of glad I'll have to get a really different kind of dog for it. I like variety too. That and I'd like a good watch/guard dog. Strider would protect me if a stranger tried to hurt me, but he sleeps so hard he's oblivious when people are coming and going.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
love herds

The things I don't want are more defined than those I do, they are the things I won't budge on the rest I am fairly flexible with.
My preferences though are:
-Smart/serious. I don't like an always goofy derpy dog. My aussie has a sense of humor which I like but he can be very serious when he needs to be. I like that he is always thinking and I can see the wheels turning in his head.
-Biddable and willing to work with me
-Drive, I don't need an over the top drive but a good ball drive and enough overall drive to at least enjoy various dog sports with me.
-I like long coated and double coated breeds. I prefer flashier coat patterns and colors.
- Velcro dog, after owning herding breeds I feel personally offended if a dog does not want to follow me into every room.
-Athletic with a medium size build
-Confident, not shy or timid
-Aloof with strangers. I need them to be able to walk down a sidewalk in the city and be fine with passing all types, but would prefer if they where not people crazy.
-Good off leash, I know this will vary from dog to dog as well as from breed to breed but I take the dogs hiking and out to my parents property which is not fenced so a dog with a good sense of boundaries and a reliable recall is preferable.
-No DA, especially with housemates. Been there done that, it sucks.
-No 'heartbreak' breeds or brachycephalic dogs

The next dog I am planning on getting is a smooth collie and they pretty well fit my requirements perfectly.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)