Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
You won't get a lab You've waited too long for a Toller and you're too obsessed with Springers still to end up with something like a lab \
True. I suppose. But her coat is SO nice!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Top Dog

My perfect breed? Good question. I'm so flip floppy between breeds as it is.

I guess in general though, I really like dogs with a desire to learn and enthusiasm for it. Preferably low shedding, but not necessarily no shedding, but this isn't the end-all. Grooming doesn't really matter. High energy but capability to chill, a good "off switch", a dog that thinks before doing, one that is capable of multiple different dog sports just in case, a water loving dog, dog friendly (not even necessarily a 'dog park dog' but just able to go in public where dogs are, etc), aloof but accepting of people, a dog that naturally will like to fetch or play frisbee. I also think some sort of a terrier/herder would fit me well if that mix was an actual breed.

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Twin 2

Must: Active, go go go with an off switch, agile, long lived/not health issue ridden, drivey, dog tolerant, people/stranger tolerant, cuddly, shadow, affectionate, biddable and FUN

Old 08-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Blackout

Perfect breed criteria:

*Protective of owner/property
*Large to very large in size
*Discriminate of strange people, animals and objects yet not fearful
*Slightly aloof/not too sticky or clingy
*LGD type/Guardian type

So...Kuvasz, Pyrs, Central Asian/Caucasian Ovcharka I suppose.

I like their protective abilities (we've had several unpleasant incidents and I would prefer to not have to worry about lurkers on the property/trying to enter our house), their independent nature and unique personalities, and just the whole adventure and challenge of living with and training them =) also their sort of aloofness with strangers but fierce loyalty and sweetness with their people. A quality I hope to see in my friends/family and myself as well xd.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Resident fainting goat

- Fun/happy go lucky/people oriented in general
- Healthy in general/long lived breed
- Average size
- "regular dog proportions"lol if that's the right way to put it (no short legs, short snout, wrinkles, etc.. just no overly different breed proportions physically)
- Not known for dog aggression
- Not on many banned list. Easy to rent an apartment with.
- Medium sized (35#ishh)
- Short coat or silky long coat. No professional grooming needs. No extreme shedding
- Dog park/city life adaptable
- Off leash reliable
- Capable of being active/running regularly
- No drooling
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Must: Active, go go go with an off switch, agile, long lived/not health issue ridden, drivey, dog tolerant, people/stranger tolerant, cuddly, shadow, affectionate, biddable and FUN

Ooo me on the "must".

Add food drive

Likes: the same minus the smooth coated - I like a dog with serious undercoat but honestly, Limit might change my mind...

Other likes:

Pushy

Confident

Cocky

Loves to interact and learn

Protective/guardy

Aloof but tolerant of all things

Sweet

Food drive is a MUST and toy drive is a strong like

I obviously prefer herding breeds what with having three. Eden suits me the least due to her "softer" temperament and the cheerleading that is needed to get her through some things but she is SO FUN and so sweet and soooo smart. I really enjoy her a lot but she is probably not what I would've picked for myself - so lucky my breeder did though!

Kastle is perfect except for his coat, his coat bugs me. I think he's handsome but his coat *sigh* is annoying. Otherwise, this dog suits me to the ground.

Limit is awesome. Simply awesome. I lucked out with him for sure. Unknown parents, unknown breeder, never met/saw any of the dogs/puppies and no videos. Dogs are bred for "real work" not for sport and goodness do I love him! He's sooooo awesome. He is more independent than Kastle which is good for my pack flow but not necessarily something I would pick on my own. He's got a super short coat, which I was totally against but I might be learning to love it.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

I don't think my perfect dog exists in purebred form, so there isn't a "perfect breed" for me. I'll just keep haunting rescue dogs to find it or *gasp* look for sport mixes!

Must: 25 - 40 lbs. Smooth coat. Low to zero protective instinct. Low to zero human aggression. High drive. Athletic. Handler focused. Minimal barking.

Prefer: Under 16". Balanced food/toy drive. Brave/resilient. Low to zero dog aggression. Snuggly. Cat/farm animal safe (no chasing, no killing).

Gusto hit it all but height, and a bit of chasing.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 AM
The Monster.

I need: strong handler focus, great food drive, at least moderate toy/play drive, good endurance both physically and mentally, medium size (25-45 lbs), not highly dog reactive, okay with people, drivey, high speed, solid off leash control, resilient and forgiving of my mistakes.

I like: medium length coat, herders, off switch (off switch is a "need" of my fiance).

Basically Cohen hits just about all of my requirements. I just wish she were a teensy bit faster/showier when working with me. Most of her other "issues" are the result of my crappy training.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Water Junkie

Criteria: herding breed, working ability, high drive, focus, little fear, prick ears, smooth coat. Last two are negotiable, but only for the right dog. I love smoothies!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Criteria: herding breed, working ability, high drive, focus, little fear,

^These. Except I'm good with retrievers as well as herders.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13