Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce
A corgi sheds worse than any other breed and she mentioned short hair so thats something I would stay away from,not to mention my corgi is the only dog I have ever had that I can not let off leash.

What about a boston,if its a well bred one and not insance like my frineds they are pretty neat dogs.
Seriously? Are you exaggerating about the shedding part?

If not, then a short-haired dachshund is what I was thinking.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

My corgi sheds worse than my husky ever dreamed of It is horrible!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Taco Dog

My two are Chi and Shih-Tzu. They are great and very trainable in most cases. Those are always my picks for small dogs Then there's: Doxie, Pomeranian, Yorkie, Toy American Eskimo. Just some small dogs off the top of my head.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 12-26-2005, 03:19 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Carly is a pure Shih Tzu. She deffenatly isn't well-bred, but it's just really hard for me to picture a Shih Tzu hiking with us. I mean, I know they're 'real' dogs too, and some would probably want to, but they hair and size just isn't ideal to me. I brought Carly with us once, it was a beginers trail that bored they heck out of me and Maddie. Carly got stuck in a burr bush, well I pulled her out of that she ran for a minute and got stuck in some thorns, and then she nearly drowned herself in 6" of water LOL
It's funny how some dogs just 'know-how' and have natural instincts and others don't. I had to carry Carly home
A Beagle would be ideal if I could get one to come! My friend that I used to work with at a Day Care is now a dog trainer at Pets Mart. She says that as dedicated as I am I could train a beagle to come. She said since my hiking areas are safe and theres no cars around I could. I told her I didn't think so, because the first time it would go out of my sight I would freak out. She then told me I could train Maddie to retrieve what she calls a "flag" and then hook it to the Beagle's leash and then when I call for a come and the beagle doesn't Maddie could drag him in. !

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-26-2005, 04:41 PM

is it unrealistic to want another dog to hike with off leash??

(sorry to double post - it wouldn't let me edit again )
Old 12-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Bratt...it depends on the dog. Again, I'd go larger breed. I can't see a beagle off leash in the woods with a rabbit hopping by !! I may be mean, but with any of my goldens, I could live in a two room house with a 12 X 12 yard and they would be happy. There again, it depends on the breed and the breeding and their age. EliN's back yard is very small , he basically lives in 2 rooms..her den and her bedroom, ( though he has free rein of any room ), he walks off leash .....and he's a rescue.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Rescued from Hades

Bratt.....
Are you only looking for a pure-bred? Because I know from experiance that two mixed breeds are wonderful for hiking off-leash and very little or no shedding.
I had a beagle/schnauzer(sp?) mix that loved to hike in the woods, and if she strayed I only had to whistle and she was back at my side. Even with a rabbit around. I also had a bull terrier/jack russell terrier mix that loved to hike. He was a VERY smart dog. And then, although out of your size preference, there is the collie/golden retriever mix dogs. VERY smart, EXTREMELY calm, and oh-so dedicated!! My Duke looked just like Lassie, even though he was a mix (I really need to get a photo scanner!), and he truly loved to walk the woods and was afraid of nothing.
Sometimes a mixed breed is perfect, as long as the parents are not unstable.

Sara

Loving Mom of:
Buddy - Rescue AmStaff
Pretty Kitty - Mom's princess who came to live with us after.....
Dexter - Fat Cat Extraordinaire
Veronica - Beautiful but frightening tarantula (she's blue!!)
Fubar - Shy, hungry pac-man she-froggy
Fred - Peaceful Siamese Fighting Fish

Grandma to:
Gracie - a sweet Basenji / Lab mix. May she bring as much joy to my daughter as Buddy has to me!!!

Old 12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

My beagle mix is great off leash. A guy a couple houses down from me hunts with his and they listen to every word this guy says and they are of leash all the time. It could work,you just have to be realy persistent with recall from a young age.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88
is it unrealistic to want another dog to hike with off leash??

(sorry to double post - it wouldn't let me edit again )
Not at all. I'm of the opinion that it has a lot to do with training and not as much to do with breed. My Border Collie (who has insane drive and would love to take off and run for miles after the many rabbits around here) is a fantastic hiking partner, he doesn't like to let me out of his sight so he always sticks fairly close. If you teach them about being offleash at a young age (safely, of course, not out in the open where you could potentially lose your puppy) they will most likely be much easier to train for an off-lead recall.

I still stand by the suggestion of the Poodle. Believe me, Frou Frou dogs they are not!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys. I'm currently researching the Miniature Schnauzer and the Toy Poodle and haven't totally ruled out the beagle yet... And I wanted to add that I didn't want a short haired dog for shedding reasons, its just that I have two "high matenence" dogs and its already an all day excursion if I bath them both in the same day, but I guess it doesn't really matter. I just wanted to go short for a change
Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em comming!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o