Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-22-2005, 04:06 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Default What Breed for Me?

I think I might be ready for another dog. While the loss of Nikki still hurts, I've found my old 'craving' is back. Though in the beginning of the month I saw a Sheltie at the shelter and started crying like an idiot I can now stand to see them and even talk to the owners about them. I don't think I could ever own another sheltie, however. They're really great dogs, but I think I'd compare too much, and that wouldn't be fair to the dog.
I've been volunteering at the FAPL since Ginger, my last foster, was placed. I love rescue dogs, mixes, and will always foster, but I find myself wanting to research, find an excellent breeder, and get a purebred puppy. The problem is, I don't seem to be able to judge and pick a breed that would suit my lifestyle. My judgment has been off on a lot of things lately. Any suggestions??
I work full time, and I'm personally usually gone from 7-4 Mon-Friday [it varies, depending on how many kids we have] My Mom doesn't have to be at work until 10:30, so its often she stays with my pups until 10. My Dad or teenaged brother always go to my house to let Maddie and Carly out around 2:30 - so at the most they are confined to one room from 10-2:30, I am not sure if this would be fair to a puppy or not. Weekends are dog days, I rarely do anything else besides camp with them, groom them, take them everywhere for socialization/fun.
They get a Ton of exercise one the weekends, but [if you've ever worked with kids (say, 7+ toddlers or 12 3yr olds) you'll understand that I'm pooped after work] only about a 20min walk around the block or the park in the evening on weekdays. Maddie also goes on the treadmill during the week. Dunno if another dog would need this
Ideally, I'd love a dog that would be able to hike in the woods with me and Maddie. I want to be able to train him to stay near us and come while off leash (I know some disapprove of this, but its a safe area and Maddie has been doing it for a couple years now)
I think that's about it. I think getting a male would be a good addition, and short hair would be nice. About the same size as a Cocker spaniel, a little bit bigger/smaller would be okay.
Thanks to all who reply in advance. Keep in mind, I'm just researching, and am NOT going to go out tomorrow and get the first breed suggested here.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

I've always had to go through puppyhood with being gone school hours so I'm sure any schedule you throw at them will be fine. I cna't think of any small breeds that do good off leash but my dobe has short hair and he is the best off leash dog yet

Do you want something more independent or cuddly? Shar peis are great if you are worried about not being around all the time,they are very independent. It is just really hard to find a good breeder. I can't think of many small breeds that are not terriers that usually run off. I've been liking the looks of the white terrier thing(forgot the whole name) and westies lately.

My favorite place to look is a dog show so maybe try to get to one with a large variety and see what sticks out to you.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-22-2005, 07:27 PM
tessa_s212

I know that usually most breed selectors aren't veyr accurate, but I have found this one to be. It had many of the breeds that I was seriously considering when I was looking for a new dog.

http://www.k9country.com/perl/dogBreed.pl
Old 12-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

I'd recommend going slowly and decide on a breed ... then go into rescue. Being so partial towards Goldens as a real companion dog, it's hard for me to give advice on other breeds. I personally like the temperment of larger dogs. I don't want to put down smaller breeds as I've never owned them. Good luck !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-23-2005, 05:16 PM

Yep, I've been on that site before tessa. I like it better than others, but disagree with the tiny dogs=little or no training thing. I think that's a huge mistake. It gave me Basset Hound, Beagle, Boston Terrier, Bulldog and a Pug I think we already had this discusion about Beagles being off leash. I've never had a basset hound before, or a bulldog, but I don't think that would be ideal with the hikes in the woods.
Thanks grammy, that's exactly what I plan on doing. I love big dogs, I really do, but I don't think it would be fair to my current dogs and I have a really small yard; I'm concerned about the room and exersize
Old 12-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Are you dead yet?

How about a Miniature Poodle? They're around the size you want, and their coat can be kept in a short kennel clip, they're very athletic and hardy little dogs. They're attentive and easy to train, teaching off-leash manners isn't very hard with a Poodle. In terms of their independence I've found them to be somewhere around the middle. They adore being with their people but I've seen them adjust perfectly to living with someone who is gone during the day.

Whippets sprang to mind, but being sighthounds I wouldn't put too much faith in them off leash. I've seen Whippets do just fine offlead, but it takes a lot more training to get them to that point than it does with some other breeds.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Big German Shepherd

From your description, Pembroke Welsh Corgi comes to mind.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

A corgi sheds worse than any other breed and she mentioned short hair so thats something I would stay away from,not to mention my corgi is the only dog I have ever had that I can not let off leash.

What about a boston,if its a well bred one and not insance like my frineds they are pretty neat dogs.

persons -James Thurber
Old 12-24-2005, 06:07 PM

I started researching the Boston Terrier and a miniature shnauzer. Though I was like NO WAY when I heard poodle, I remembered one I fostered about 4yrs ago and also remembered they're not all frou frou dogs
My uncle used to have Bostons and they were all out of control hyper and insane . . . .

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Yeah,most seem to be but I have to admitt all the ones I know are pure puppymill dogs. I have heard that the well bred ones are great.

I like the mini schnauzer idea. they are cute and really smart. My aunt had one that lived into its twenties and that dog could do every trick I have ever seen a dog do.

persons -James Thurber