Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Taxiderpy

I'm just curious in general, not that there's anything wrong with it. We didn't really have a good idea of who the picks might be out of Kaia's litter until the puppies were over 5 weeks old. Even then, there are 2-3 girls that have been tied for pick.

We only had two boys, so they're easier to place. One is going to a show home so we couldn't decide when they were born.

The only scenario I can think of where you'd know where a puppy is getting placed at birth is if a puppy buyer reserved a specific gender and there was only one born, and the breeder knew for sure they weren't going to keep it.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I'm just curious in general, not that there's anything wrong with it. We didn't really have a good idea of who the picks might be out of Kaia's litter until the puppies were over 5 weeks old. Even then, there are 2-3 girls that have been tied for pick.

We only had two boys, so they're easier to place. One is going to a show home so we couldn't decide when they were born.

The only scenario I can think of where you'd know where a puppy is getting placed at birth is if a puppy buyer reserved a specific gender and there was only one born, and the breeder knew for sure they weren't going to keep it.
Seems that breeders who don't show and I likely wouldn't buy from do this.. I've been looking at frenchie breeders. I've been turned off so many times as deposits are due for many of these breeders when puppies hit the ground or earlier. No refunds, need to often make your pick at 4 weeks, no 'changes' after. I want a prospect at least for sports. I'm looking for drive, want to be with people, and conformation for sports at least. I can't make that choice well at 4 weeks.

Sadly, most of these breeders have enough buyers that my hesitation doesn't matter their pups will go anyhow.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 08-10-2012, 04:21 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Or maybe if you had a mismarked puppy you knew for sure wasn't going to be shown/bred and a pet or performance home on your list fell hard for him. Even then it may not work if the temperament turns out to be not ideal (we've had a zillion discussions on here about how "great pet!" means very different things to different people), but might set the direction.

Like with yellow FCRs. Say Mira were bred and were to produce a yellow pup (so far as I know this is not even a genetic possibility but just fer-instance). Not a big deal as it's just a color and doesn't effect the wellbeing of the dog for better or for worse, but anyone who would want to show or shoot for HOF status is probably going to need a normally-marked pup. And with the crazies out in the world right now trying rather underhanded things to get their hands on yellow FCRs to breed them and claim they are special, I'd want to make extra sure the pup went to someone I or people I trust know well. Add to that, she's a working line dog and with that comes a particular energy level (within a range) and need for structure and activity. So at birth that pup could very well have a home or two for who he/she would be pegged just by virtue of color.

But yeah 99% of the time letting people pick their pup superyoung based solely on color/gender seems a bit sketchy to me. I'd want to know more about the pups before figuring out which one was going to be part of my family, my sport partner, etc. Just me though, and maybe I'm just more used to the model where puppy families/careers are not determined until the puppy is capable of some input.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

I'd say at least 80% of the Sibe breeders I've come across market via coat and eye color. When you get down to plain marketability, black/white with blue eyes will be far more likely to go for more money than agouti/white with plain brown eyes. There can be a $400 difference of price in the litter just based on eye color, coat color, and gender. Splash and pinto markings are another one that sells well, as well as pure white. Instead of listing OFA scores, show titles, performance titles, etc, they will often just list the color of the parents, and what colors are expected in the litter.

Most also go on a first come first serve basis, aka, 'pick of the litter'. Many have pups available all four seasons of the year. Non refundable deposits. Many will let the pups go at 6 or 7 weeks. Very few test CERF. Fewer bother with OFA hips or elbows. It's a "healthy breed" that no one bothers to prove healthy via testing, especially in the show ring, where the dogs look like freight trains. Even the history behind this breed is sketchy, as none of Seppalas dogs were allowed in AKC or CKC breeding programs, and yet there were mysterious dogs turning up in pedigrees with the Seppala name(of course a political agenda). Not to mention the influx of red Sibes, which did not exist in Seppala's stock either.

It's all a mess.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:02 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I'd say at least 80% of the Sibe breeders I've come across market via coat and eye color. When you get down to plain marketability, black/white with blue eyes will be far more likely to go for more money than agouti/white with plain brown eyes. There can be a $400 difference of price in the litter just based on eye color, coat color, and gender. Splash and pinto markings are another one that sells well, as well as pure white. Instead of listing OFA scores, show titles, performance titles, etc, they will often just list the color of the parents, and what colors are expected in the litter.

Most also go on a first come first serve basis, aka, 'pick of the litter'. Many have pups available all four seasons of the year. Non refundable deposits. Many will let the pups go at 6 or 7 weeks. Very few test CERF. Fewer bother with OFA hips or elbows. It's a "healthy breed" that no one bothers to prove healthy via testing, especially in the show ring, where the dogs look like freight trains. Even the history behind this breed is sketchy, as none of Seppalas dogs were allowed in AKC or CKC breeding programs, and yet there were mysterious dogs turning up in pedigrees with the Seppala name(of course a political agenda). Not to mention the influx of red Sibes, which did not exist in Seppala's stock either.

It's all a mess.
Yikes...I admit I've never really paid attention to the Sibe world but that's pretty nuts.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 PM
and Fozzie B!

I can't see the pictures... I think you tried to post attachments as a link, which won't work. You have to upload the files to a photo hosting website like Photobucket or Flickr, and copy the url (which will end with .jpg, .png, or .gif).

However, Husky coloring usually lightens up A LOT! Their mask especially changes drastically. Fozzie is part Husky and his face and body colors changed drastically. Honestly, ask your breeder, as they should know better than anyone what color he's expected to be.

@ 10 weeks

@ 12 weeks

@ 16 weeks

@ 20 weeks

@ 8 months

Now

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm All Ears

I would be very wary of a breeder letting an owner pick at 1-2 weeks old. I just don't think it's a good idea especially in some breeds with a lot of variability (border collies come to mind). There is really nothing known about a 1 week old puppy.

Now, we did end up with knowing Beau was ours the day he was born. But that was just because there were only two puppies and the breeders wanted to grow out the female. It was Beau or go home...