Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Active Pup

Default Husky newborn! Color question.

Me and my girlfriend are destined to be first time husky owners. We have already reserved this puppy from a reputable local breeder. The question I have for all of you professionals is what color is this puppy? Does anyone have any idea what he will look like when he gets older? I'm very curious as most the puppies I have seen aren't this color. Pictures of your older huskies that may have looked similar to this when a puppy would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Can't see the pictures.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Resident fainting goat

can't see the pictures.. you could try another hosting site.. tinyurl or photobucket perhaps
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

Those photos are on a Husky owners forum, and you have to be logged in to see them. Something to keep in mind- coloring/shading will change some as a Husky matures.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Silence! I ban you!

The third "picture" is a jpg from a "future energy" affiliate marketing site. Calling it out directly redirects to amazon with "future green" as a keyword. We all know what spamfinger thinks, but let's see how this plays out
Old 08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Taxiderpy

How does a breeder tell what homes the newborn puppies are destined for without letting them grow out a little bit?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Top Dog

Ditto, can't see the pics. With pics I might be able to tell you the base color, red or black, but they generally start very light, do super dark, then even out to their adult color/pattern around 18 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
How does a breeder tell what homes the newborn puppies are destined for without letting them grow out a little bit?
They don't. I haven't met a reputable Sibe breeder yet.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Some breeders believe if one is just looking for a pet, without any specific purpose, any of their dogs should have a stable enough temperament for that purpose. In fact, I've met quite a few breeders that picks/lets new owners pick puppies at 1-2 weeks old. Of course, if the puppy ends up being drastically different like energy through the roof then the buyer has the option to wait for the next litter, or if there are different puppies, pick a different one.

The other thing is, some breeders believe that if for example huskies is the breed you want, you should be prepared for the energy levels, regardless of which puppy from the litter (of course, again, unless it's an extreme case). Any of the breeder's puppies should have the temperament to be a pet.

I wouldn't necessarily say just because a breeder picks puppies from a very young age, they're not "reputable." Both my Papillon and my BC breeder lets owners pick puppies from 1-2 weeks old.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

Major problem is, actually, that Sibes really make terrible pets regardless. And the majority of the AKC Siberian Huskies are "pet quality", because very few work or are health tested. BUT they still have the bratty attitudes and independent nature that really makes them terrible pets unless you are an extremely experienced dog person. All those problems trace back to the breeders giving anyone with the cash a pup.

Therefore, yeah, I wouldn't call any of them reputable. Not to mention destroying the breed as a whole not only in it's own circle, but in the eye of the public as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

Yep, what Lyzelle said.

And you wonder why around 95% of Sibes have to find a new home at least once or three times in their life.