Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Default Rosey has an appointment the 23rd..

And I'm nervous already :-/

Ok quick backstory in case anybody doesn't know: Rosey is a nearly-16 year old best guess GSD/BC street mutt picked up off the highway at 3 months old. Other than the "normal" age-related issues (mostly deaf, completely blind in one eye and half blind in the other, hindend atrophy/arthritis) she is healthy. No heart problems, no kidney/liver problems, nothing. She is a family dog, yet is my dog through and through and will gogogo and do anything I ask her to do and never give up.

Last week, she took a fall down the stairs and was brought to the emergency vet, where he told me he thinks she just twitched something and gave her pain meds for 5 days. She finished them last Friday, but I have given her 2 additional doses when she wakes up and I've noticed she's sore.

we're going in on the 23rd of this month (mine and my vets work schedule tends to clash, sadly) to have a follow up on that incident with my vet who's awesome and I trust much more.

Is there anything I should ask for/about? Or anything I should be weary of if it's suggested? Most likely will be asking about meds for long-term pain management... Drugs to stay away from? Ones to ask about? She means the world to us, and while we'll do anything to be sure she's comfortable, money is somewhat of a concern as well. I have no problem dropping hundreds of dollars on her...but any testing that's going to be real expensive (especially if it's not gaurenteed to give answers) is not preferred.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

First off I'm sorry to hear that Rosey is still having trouble...she has quickly become one of my favorite Chaz dogs!

Mammoth is on Rimadyl for long-term arthritis management and it works wonderfully for him. It was the only pain medication that didn't give him an upset stomach or make him frantic...definitely worth a try if your vet suggests it.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Aww thanks <3 she def has a way to work her way into people's heart

Thanks, will def keep that in mind! I think she's still having problems because she Will. Not. Stop. Jumping up and spinning 360s? SURE, NOT A PROBLEM. Run around like a maniac? YOU BET. Sleep on the dog bed? BEDS ARE FOR WUSSES, THE FLOORS WHERE IT'S AT

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

Some of the common long-term ones we use at work are tramadol and gabapentin. Both are super cheap, way cheaper than Rimadyl. We do use rimadul for some dogs, though. Max, my parents' GSD, couldn't tolerate Rimadyl well. He did much better on Previcox, but he was only on it for a couple weeks before we put him down. He couldn't have tramadol, because of his seizures and seizure meds. Rimadyl does come in a generic if price is a concern. I think, though, you've got her on Metacam now? That also comes in a generic tablet (and possibly liquid) that is much cheaper than the dog-specific liquid, just ask for a script for the pills and get it filled at the pharmacy. Meloxicam and carprofen are both NSAIDs, so if you switch from meloxicam to carprofen you need to do a wash-out period before changing, which is usually less than ideal, so most people stick with whatever they started with.

And then there's the old standby, aspirin. Again an NSAID that will need a wash-put period before switching, but it's very cheap.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

((vibes for Rosey))

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

I hope Rosey's soreness will subside soon. Lots of vibes. Be careful with aspirin...it's particularly hard on dogs gastrointestinal system. They take much smaller doses than humans and be sure it's with food if you give it and an enteric coated one. Aspirin also interacts with some other drugs, such as anti-biotics, cortisones and some others. So, only on advice from your vet would I use that. There are better things for dogs, such as Rimadyl. Too much though, can cause liver damage. And of course, acetaminophin and ibuprofen can be deadly. I sure hope her soreness will disappear soon. Maybe some kind of massage therapy?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Lots and lots of ((((((((((((((((((VIBES))))))))))))))))) for one of my most favorite chaz dogs!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

I don't have any suggestions or answers, but I hope the visit goes well! Good thoughts to Rosey.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Love My Mutt <3

I'm not about to I've my dog anything I'm not 100% sure of without advice from my vet, so really there's no worries about that. She's also not on any medication at the moment (she hasn't even had metacam for a couple days). Not too worried about long-term side effects like liver damage, at 16 it's just making sure she's comfortable at the present time.

Yah Saeleofu she's on metacam presently but not under the direction of *my* vet that knows her and that I trust, so I want to keep open about changing it if she mentions it unfortunately, pils won't work -- she's too darn smart and will eat whatever it's hidden in and then spit out the pill. Even the liquid is a pain to get her to believe its not poison.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Thanks guys