Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Active Pup

Question What are the best organizations to get a fully-trained psychiatric service dog?

I live in Southern California and suffer from severe depression and an anxiety disorder making life very difficult. I have been advised that receiving a psychiatric service dog would improve my quality of life, but am having tremendous difficulty locating a good program. I've already looked through listings, researched for weeks, etc. Please provide specific programs for me to consider, not just a place I can find more listings (includes ADI and Delta). Thank you in advance!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

Unfortunately, the area of psychiatric service dog training is still pretty small, and the majority of the few organizations that train PSDs give dogs only to veterans with PTSD. I've been a service dog trainer for about five years now and have researched the field extensively, and I still can't recommend an organization that trains PSDs.

That said, it might be helpful for you to really think about what you would need a service dog to be trained to do for you - what specific tasks you need - and focus on getting a dog that can do those tasks. Sometimes if you can go to an organization and say, "I need a dog that's trained to do x, y, and z tasks," they'd be more willing to get you such a dog, versus when you simply ask for a PSD.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
That said, it might be helpful for you to really think about what you would need a service dog to be trained to do for you - what specific tasks you need - and focus on getting a dog that can do those tasks. Sometimes if you can go to an organization and say, "I need a dog that's trained to do x, y, and z tasks," they'd be more willing to get you such a dog, versus when you simply ask for a PSD.
Very much this. It is virtually impossible to find a program to train a dog for an autistic adult, too, which is why I neded up training my own. However, I have still been looking for programs, and most seem more open when you give a list of tasks instead of a diagnosis.

I do know someone that was going to get a PSD from Susquehanna Service Dogs at one point, not sure if that worked out in the end or not.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It is virtually impossible to find a program to train a dog for an autistic adult, too, which is why I neded up training my own.
We did this for my sister (also Autistic) and this might be your best bet. The only organizations I know of cater exclusively to Vets or those otherwise afflicted by PTSD.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart