Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Top Dog

I don't even want to know.

A few months ago, I was bored, and added up all our vet reciepts since the time he was a puppy - 9 weeks old. I added up about $4500. So if I do it that way, it averages about $125 per month in 3 years. But two procedures he had were REALLY expensive (tooth surgery & dental - $1200, hospital stay/GI upset - $1500) so that's not really accurate.

Sometimes I can spend as little as $20 a month on him, sometimes I can spend as much as $125+. So it really just depends on if he suddenly needs something, or I get the urge to buy him a collar or harness etc.

In general though, food is around $15-$20 per month depending on what brand and how many canned foods I buy. Heartworm meds... I buy either 3 or 6 month packs at a time, but that's about $25, I think, so technically that's like $8 per month. His dog treats are like $5 a bag and I probably buy 2/month. Bully sticks I buy in bulk so they last months.

It's kind of funny to think about how little I'd spend if I just got him the things he NEEDS. Like, really. He'd cost me like $25 per month for a bag of food and heartworm meds.

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Oh dear god. lol.

Food: ~$120
Treats, chews, and toys: $30
Heartgard: $25

Once it cools down, herding will factor back into the equation. Each lesson is $40 so between $80 and $120 a month. There is also the occassional use of Advantage, which is about $45 for all 5 dogs.

So... a cheap month is about $175. An expensive month is about $350. Things like vet visits and collars aren't even factored into this!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

*sigh* Yeah, I don't want to add it up. LOL. Between agility classes, drop in training for OB /Rally, trial fees, toys, treats, homemade agility equipment, raw food.... No, I'll just keep my fingers in my ears. Keeva needs to see a chiropractor too, now.

LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, MONEY!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
No way in hell am I doing this. It would make me cry. LOL
^This for me

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Well right now everything is skewed because of our Dr. D appointment, bloodwork, and growl class, which was expensive. About $800 in the span of 2 weeks.

I could honestly spend less than $25 a month on him if I ONLY bought his Fluoxitine, yummy treats for our growl class, and waste bags.

I have a years worth of heartguard and 6 months worth of Vectra that I honestly can't remember if I paid for or not Food is free for me as long as I don't decide that he needs raw meat, and I get Stella and Chewy's freeze dried beef patties free every month to use as regular treats. Then of course I buy things like Himalaya chews, beef kneecaps, and BBS orders which are completely unnecessary. I have been better about collars though!!

Wow, thinking about how much more money I would have if I just bought the necessities and a goodie here or there makes me sad! lol

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Entertaining article by The Onion that seemed oddly fitting for this thread

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pet...nomic-c,29088/

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

Food: $30/month
Classes: $60/month
Treats: $15/month

$105/month, if I don't buy extras, which, right now, I'm not. :]
Old 08-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

I go through a 30lb bag of food in 4-6 weeks (depending on if I have a foster or not, and how much that foster is eating). I get one bag of food a month from work, though, so that's pretty much free. I use two 3lb bags of raw every month, and that's free as well through a program we have at work. A can of food lasts me three days, so estimating 10 cans a month, at $2.50/can, that's $25/month total for food.

I'll give a rough estimate of $20/month on supplements (they get fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin, kelp/seameal, digestive enzymes, and pumpkin). I know how much each one costs, and how long each one lasts, but I don't want to figure it out right now.

I probably spend $10 per month on treats - not training treats, just regular ones for around the house or to shove into Kongs.

Add another $10 per month on training treats - I use mostly hotdogs and string cheese, with the occasional Natural Balance roll, so it's not too expensive.

Take another $20 per month on bully sticks, tracheas, tendons, etc - all the chewy things.

I typically only buy toys when they clearance them out at work, and then I majorly stock up - I would average about $15/month on toys? I pay about $3-5 per toy, and he gets a new one every other week or so.

Jack gets groomed every two months, and it's $50/appointment, so that's another $25/month.

I don't really buy a lot of accessories - they each have a couple collars, a couple leashes, and Jack has the one harness. Trainnig classes aren't on a regular schedule, so I'm not counting those. I'm not factoring veterinary bills into the equation, as I have a special "vet" savings account - the money goes directly from my paycheck into this account, so I never really miss it.

Add in another $20/month for the cat (she's low maintenance), and about $5/month for bird food.

We have a grand total of $150/month for all the animals, $125/month if we're just counting the dogs.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I just started hard core budgeting so I'm about to find out how much I really spend on the animals. Lol

A 35lb bag of dog food lasts around six weeks (or more - not really sure) for Mike's three. An 18lb bag lasts Chloe about the same amount of time. So...
~$25 a month in food.
Maybe $5 in treats. We have to watch Chloe and Gracie's calorie intake, so they honestly don't get many doggy treats - it just easier to give them healthy homemade stuff.
None of them are toy destructive, so they *might* get a new toy or chewbone every month or two. So $5 for that.
I groom them myself, so no money out there.
I get up to $600 free vet care at work, so I haven't been out any money on vet care as of yet. Chloe's meds are $4 a month.

So total for 4 dogs (6lb, 11lb, 30lb, and 48lb), I'm spending maybe $40 a month, at most. I think I spend that much on just Dameon alone. Lol

I'm also not including the vet visits they all just got. They all went in for the works last month and although Gracie and Cooper will need a rabies vaccine in January, I'm not planning on any more vaccine visits save for rabies for a few years at least.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Love My Mutt <3

God doing that math made me incredibly depressed. Especially since I don't make more than that a month doing my real job

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13