Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Getting dogs to chew on an antler

I bought antlers for the dogs today (small ones) because Mia in particular goes through other chews insanely fast for such a small dog. She can chew a braided bully stick down in less than 2 hours, which is way way too much for a dog her size to eat. So I have to constantly take them away from her. And if you don't give Mia something to chew on, she'll chew on whatever she finds (like my glasses).

Both of them seemed interested in the antlers in the store. When we got home they carried them off and dropped them and didn't even try to chew on them.

Is there anything I can do to make them more enticing? They certainly weren't cheap!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
orange iguanas.

I've had no luck with that. Juno completely ignores her antler. She'd rather chew on her Nylabones I've smeared peanut butter on it but then she just, of course, licks off the PB and carries on ignoring the antler. I think I read on here about boiling it in chicken broth but then I'd think you'd have to throw it away soon after? Because I can't imagine it would keep well after that.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Sport Model Pug

Are they whole or split?

I find Izzie only cares about the split ones as she can get to that good stuff inside better.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I used it as a toy to begin with. Once I got her interested in it as an object, she explored it a bit more and began chewing it.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Top Dog

Loan it to another dog for a bit. I had one in the house for well over a year that Meg never glanced at. Until I had a foster dog in the house who loved it. Jasmine chewed on it for five minutes before Meg stole it back, and she's loved them ever since.

I assume Jasmine got the inside "opened" a bit on the ends, and made whatever it is dogs like more noticeable.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Top Dog

Laur, if they are not split, see if you can exchange them for a split one. NOt that a split one has done Ivan any good.
But last weekend when I was down at the show, Ivans breeder recommended I get a split one first. Not that the bugger has chewed it yet. I swear I have the worlds only nonchewing dalmatian.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Top Dog

I know for Yoshi if I act like something is the coolest thing in the world and I start playing with it like throwing it up in the air and catching it whatever it is turns into the biggest 'i want' from Yoshi ever.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm All Ears

I almost bought a split one but they were more expensive so I didn't. I wish I had now....
Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Agility freak!

I was told to soak it in hot water, by the lady at the store where I buy mine. I think it has a similar effect as other dogs chewing on it first, makes it softer, easier to get at, and smells better.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 08-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I second finding a dog that likes them lol. Ozzy and Enzo didn't want ANYTHING to do with them until Knox came along and started chewing theirs. Now they can't get enough of them. Indy loves them too