Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

Default Why do pet stores...

always put treats at dog level? It's like a buffet for Lucy when we go!

Today she managed to snag two beef tracheas when we were walking around looking for treats. I was mortified. The shop owner was super sweet about it and offered them to us for free (she can't have beef, so we declined). Gah--my little shop lifting delinquent!

She's so stealth about it too--she'll be trotting along next to me, all eyes on me, and then *WHOOSH* she darts to the side, snags a goodie and scarfs it down as quickly as possible. Brat.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Love My Mutt <3

So your dog can choose their own treats. They think if your dog takes it, it means you'll buy it cause your dog wants it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
So your dog can choose their own treats. They think if your dog takes it, it means you'll buy it cause your dog wants it
See, I always thought that too--but then the owner said they had to keep moving them to higher shelves because the dogs kept taking them.

Maybe I'm the oddball because my dog will eat anything that even hints of being food. I guess if I had a super picky dog I'd be more concerned with what she really wanted.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Same with toys! I let Bodhi pick her own She picked a pink ball last time...... Pink ball in mouth, pink collar and pink and white harness... and people STILL call her a he.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Resident fainting goat

You're lucky! Most pet stores aren't as nice...I've seen dogs snag treats and employees ready like "um..you know you have to pay for that now.. right?"

It's like putting toys/candy at checkout lol they are hoping the kid will grap it and kick a fit so you will HAVE TO buy it lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Same with toys! I let Bodhi pick her own She picked a pink ball last time...... Pink ball in mouth, pink collar and pink and white harness... and people STILL call her a he.
Yesss! I was fitting her for a step in harness today, and the employee asked me which design I wanted, and I said I wanted the girliest one they had! Her collar has a giant bow on it to make sure the world knows she is a little girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
You're lucky! Most pet stores aren't as nice...I've seen dogs snag treats and employees ready like "um..you know you have to pay for that now.. right?"

It's like putting toys/candy at checkout lol they are hoping the kid will grap it and kick a fit so you will HAVE TO buy it lol
Thank goodness for nice independently owned pet stores. It was a smart move, because I'll definitely be going back now. If they had made me buy it, I'd probably avoid going back.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Auggie did that to me at Petco once. They had big bone-shaped biscuits down at the bottom level of the checkouts, and I was standing there and he was sitting nicely. He looked up at me... probably checking to make sure my hands were full... then two seconds later he not only had a biscuit in his mouth but had already EATEN half of it. Mortified is definitely the word.
They got rid of those bins at the checkout, maybe because they had too many puppy thieves. =P Or problems with allergy dogs snatching stuff they shouldn't have...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

You know, I've always wondered that too! When I was in Petsmart with Enda one day walking the isles, someone had been playing with one of the toys with their dog, or the dog grabbed it up, either way they left it sitting in the middle of the floor! I walked up with Enda, had her sit in front of it, picked it up, and put it back. Thankfully thus far the worst problem I've had actually isn't with the treats they leave out, but going down the food isles sometimes bags rip and a few pieces of kibble spill, get lost, and Jinj the food hound is always quicker than lightning if you're not paying attention!

The only thing I've reasoned in my head for them doing this is, you have a conscious mind that "you break it, you buy it", so when your dogs does grab up something you think, oh no! We'll have to go pay for that. Or, maybe they think it snags the owners heart more, if the dog does pick their own favorite treat/toy, so the owner thinks "oh, you really want that one, I guess we'll have to get it!", similar to the bouncing child cuddling a new toy, only I use to pay for my stuff with my own money...time for my dogs to get a paying job I guess!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Top Dog

Fortunately my dogs have a very solid "leave it" which gets used in food/treat/toy aisles (Logan's got an automatic leave it, it's funny sometimes we'll walk down a treat aisle and he stares straight ahead because he KNOWS he's not supposed to touch lol), so it's a non-issue for me. But I'm sure most places do it so your dog can choose their own thing.

If everything was above dog height, what would go down below? Or would it just be wall from waist down, and only stuff on the top part? I see the variety/selection at pet stores decreasing by a LOT if that were the case. So I suppose the other answer is: because that's where there's room for it.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'm so glad Rosey won't take something unless she's told to choose something -- and even then, if you say ONE, she'll only take one. I don't think it's ever crossed her mind that she could take one before being told... Its like there's a barrier that disappears when I say it's ok LOL

The ferrets, on the other hand, anything is fair game -- and the employees are usually ok with that cause they get to play with them

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13