Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Omfg. The thought of running barefoot makes me CRINGE!!! You are too badass Linds.

I can just picture myself, running all awkward on my tiptoes, stopping every 3 seconds to check the bottom of my feet... I have the most tender feet ever. I collapse and sob if I step on a lego.

I could see running with minimalist shoes. I love my Nike high tops though.
But everybody does that

I'm from the south. At least one of those stereotypes is true lol, because if I can, I go barefoot everywhere.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post

Oh it's a thing for sure LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdb7ZDJKS4

omg, just died, hahahahahhha LOVE IT

Sillysally...beanie said it well. There really is no for sure right/wrong. Also, some flat feet are really deceptive...not something that would be picked up during a running exam at a shoe store. My feet are a wonderful example. I had 4 extremely fantastic physical therapists (plus I am a PT) do a standard exam you'd see in a running store (cause this is valuable), but you have to add it to a exam on the table as well. When they looked at my feet this way, they were all like 'whoa', you do NOT need arch support (which I have been told my whole life...it was pretty cool...but it takes a pretty talented person to pick up on this.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Never ran barefooted, heck I don't even walk barefooted. Growing up being allergic to bees and wasps, it was always shoes on. Ohh and I had to have corrective shoes so no barefoot anything for me. It feels to nekked to not have something on my feet.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Lord Cynical

I run in VFFs - I finished C25K in normal shoes, but did the C25K program again in VFFs to get acclimated to them. I feel fine - no more soreness, no more back/shin pain, no more rolled ankles, no more blisters.

I haven't worn normal shoes for months now... couldn't be happier.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 AM
Are you dead yet?

I run in my VFFs. Rather, did run in them before my job took up all my time/desire to exercise. I LOVE the feeling of "barefoot" running. I don't feel clumsy and gross, I can't go for too far but my strides are so much better and I no longer heel strike like a moron (something I do nonstop in regular shoes, whether running or walking)

PS - I do have really crappy flat feet and let me tell you, the first like... week in VFFs (especially if you wear them all over the place) is going to leave your feet kinda sore, just because your foot's having to support itself rather than a shoe doing that work. Also if you are heel striker or don't have a proper gait, you might get a little pain from instinctively walking a certain way (and having no padding to cushion your heel as it rams into the ground)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

I wear my Merrell Pace Gloves everywhere.

I need to get a new pair, the tread is almost totally worn off...
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
I wear my Merrell Pace Gloves everywhere.

I need to get a new pair, the tread is almost totally worn off...
Oh, I have these too and they are comfy!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I wear Brooks Pure Connects:

The guy who helped me with shoes at REI said they were a great shoe for people switching from regular shoes and wanting to go more towards barefoot. They are a mininalist shoe, but not a complete barefoot. I have been soooo happy with them, now I just need to decide whether I want another pair of these when the time comes for new running shoes, or whether i want to try all the way barefoot.

So for people wanting to move more towards barefoot but have really delicate feet, they are awesome. I have never stepped on something and went OWWWWWW, but they sure are different from regular shoes.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I don't even go barefoot in my own house lol. The thought of stepping in a wet spot is enough to make me shudder.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I actually barely ever wear shoes to begin with so I've already got some pretty calloused and tough feet. I hate shoes So I'm sure they'll get a little thicker but I don't imagine it would be as bad as for people who are used to wearing shoes. I would always take the dogs out for walks and hikes without shoes.

And Fran, you are SUCH a city girl. It makes me laugh. But that's a big part of why the VFF's started I believe. So people could still run "barefoot" without being barefoot.
Ah no worries then! Glad you're getting some exercise and actually enjoying it