Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Ball Thrower

When I was younger I went outside barefoot all the time, but in Florida I learned it's best to never walk in the grass barefoot. Those red ants will eat you alive.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

I went several years in high school without buying shoes until I got stepped on by a steer. I was on the track team, and it was the healthiest I have ever been (no stress-related injuries, etc).

Now, I'm required to wear shoes for work (darn =P ), but I do still do about half of my workouts barefoot (so probably 20ish miles/week without shoes). I love love love being barefoot, but my conformation doesn't really allow for no shoes at all (one of my legs is stumpy from a long-ago leg fracture).

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 08-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Obey the Toad.

Does anyone on here do bare minimalist running shoes with flat feet? DH has flat feet and has trouble with shin splints.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Does anyone on here do bare minimalist running shoes with flat feet? DH has flat feet and has trouble with shin splints.
Me too, me too! Can't wait to see responses - or else I will let you know after I start
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Running in minimalist shoes has completely cured my shin splint problem.

I ran the 5k last weekend in my regular running shoes (aka work shoes) because it was a mud run and my shins are sore.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

I play frisbee barefoot. I also wear tennis shoes, basketball shoes, and cleats for my other sports. Running barefoot is by far the best. I've never worn shoes much unless its needed, so my feet are tough enough to handle it. When I do go on runs though, I wear tennis shoes because the roads near us have a bunch of glass and junk on the side, and I'm not gonna run on the concrete.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I have flat feet and had shin splints in one pair of running shoes; bought a different pair and no more shin splints. If he's interested in minimal or barefoot shoes, he should definitely find a good running store and check them out. If he's not interested in it, he should still find a good running store and try to find a different pair that isn't going to hurt him.

Despite what people want you to believe, there are no scientific studies out there proving barefoot running reduces injuries - or that traditional shoes cause them. A Harvard scientist has done a lot of testing on barefoot running but even he notes there is no study yet that proves barefoot running is better for you. I'm not sure if he and his team are going to develop tests and further test his hypotheses, it would be interesting if so.
His study also showed that people who traditionally run shod still rearfoot strike when barefoot... and I do know people in traditional shoes who have retrained themselves to midfoot or forefoot strike. Personally my hypothesis is that it's not about the shoes or lack of them on your feet, it's about where you strike when you land... and while barefoot shoes can help promote a more natural midfoot or forefoot strike, there are definitely people who still have to retrain themselves to strike that way even after making the switch.

Lots of factors involved. A good running store is invaluable no matter which direction you go as long as the employees are truly qualified to help. My local running store is awesome and they'll help you make the best choice for your body no matter which way you want to go, and they've never pressured me to go one way or another. They got me set up with a great minimal-ish shoe with a lower heel to toe drop than the running shoes I've been in, but it's not full on barefoot, because people tend to injure their Achilles if they make the switch too sudden and too severe. We should have some good cool weather this week so I'm hoping to take them on a quick little spin on pavement and see how they feel...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Oh god no. I can't even imagine. I have like the lamest most sensitive feet ever.

I have home videos of me as a little kid being like 6 years old and I wouldn't even step my feet onto the mulch to plant some pumpkin seeds without putting on my shoes. LOL. It's quite ridiculous.

I can barely walk barefoot out to my car without being like "ow, ow, stepped on a rock, ow".

Good luck w/ that!

Brit & Jackson

Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 PM
and Fozzie B!

Omfg. The thought of running barefoot makes me CRINGE!!! You are too badass Linds.

I can just picture myself, running all awkward on my tiptoes, stopping every 3 seconds to check the bottom of my feet... I have the most tender feet ever. I collapse and sob if I step on a lego.

I could see running with minimalist shoes. I love my Nike high tops though.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Top Dog

I usually go hiking barefoot and sometimes I'll go fishing barefoot if it's out at a pond. I usually have my backpack and have some flipflops if I absolutely have to have some sort of bottom of my foot protection. Shoes just feel weird to me.