Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Twin 2

Default Barefoot Running

So, curious, I know a lot of us on here wear VFF's but I was curious if anyone actually runs with them or barefoot?

I've never been a runner, actually HATED running but I recently decided to give running barefoot a try and oh my word is it FUN! I feel so much better, lighter, bouncier and I run with a smile rather than hating it.

I'm starting slow, everyother day and not very far. Luckily my endurance for running are not so great, especially with a different form so my calf muscles are done before my breath gives out. So that helps not push myself to far and are allowing both to grow together.

So far I'm running completely barefoot since I read that that helps get the form down best.

So I was just curious if there were anymore barefoot runners here. It's a very odd feeling for me to say "I want to go running" but it's happening
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I run agility in mine but running to run is rarely on my schedule. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Resident fainting goat

I didn't even know running barefoot was a thing! Then again.. I live in a city where sidewalks are covered in all kinds of filth and sinful items..
Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Active Pup

You'll probably find that the skin on your feet will thicken up pretty fast if you continue to run barefoot.

If you don't mind having rough + thick skin then it'll be fine. Just something I thought I should flag up as a consideration
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigcheese View Post
You'll probably find that the skin on your feet will thicken up pretty fast if you continue to run barefoot.

If you don't mind having rough + thick skin then it'll be fine. Just something I thought I should flag up as a consideration
I actually barely ever wear shoes to begin with so I've already got some pretty calloused and tough feet. I hate shoes So I'm sure they'll get a little thicker but I don't imagine it would be as bad as for people who are used to wearing shoes. I would always take the dogs out for walks and hikes without shoes.

And Fran, you are SUCH a city girl. It makes me laugh. But that's a big part of why the VFF's started I believe. So people could still run "barefoot" without being barefoot.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Ball Thrower

I used to run before I broke/sprained my ankle. Because of the damage I did and the resulting trauma I was told by my ortho to run barefoot or to wear barefoot shoes/sneakers and to wear flats; no more heels. I disregarded his advice and continued to run wearing fancy Nike's/New Balance and heels. By the 5 session on crutches in less than a year, I realized I would no longer be able to run anymore. I now wear barefoot shoes almost exclusively as I find most shoes make my ankle hurt after an hour if I'm on my feet. I wear vivobarefoot, I have their ultras, and the neo, but also their achilles. All are very comfortable.

ETA: VFF's kind of freak me out. I am not sure why.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I'm not since almost all my miles are logged on public pavement, but being A Runner I know several. I got more minimal shoes for my birthday, but I haven't run in them yet. I'm curious to see how they'll work out. I'll never go whole hog barefoot though, I like my feet without glass in them, hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I didn't even know running barefoot was a thing!
Oh it's a thing for sure LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdb7ZDJKS4

ETA: Jenne, I don't like VFFs either. The whole separate toe thing. Ugh.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Behavior Nerd

When I was doing C25K I ran exclusively in my VFFs - no pain, unlike when I tried running in regular shoes.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post

Oh it's a thing for sure LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdb7ZDJKS4
I am laughing so hard right now

But yeah, I've only been going barefoot in places that I walk the dogs everyday anyways so I know what's there and am careful. But, putting a nail through my foot years ago never got me to put on shoes I'm not sure what could
Old 08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Resident fainting goat

LOL I forget my cityness until these kinds of threads pop up and I'm like.. WHA?? PEOPLE GO OUTSIDE BAREFOOT?! LIKE..OUTSIDE OUTSIDE?! THERE ARE LIKE..THINGS OUT THERE!
I don't even walk in the grass at the park barefoot. I have this thing with dirt lol and I'm always scared there are things hiding in the grass haha

Oh and I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. I don't like VFFS or minimal running shoes because I can't get over the fact that I think they look..well..ermm.. bad lol oddly enough, I don't even think they look bad on other people but the idea of ME wearing them makes me cringe.

I love my nike freeruns. They work for me, no pain..and I think they look AWESOME haha
oh and they are also personalized hufflepuff colored.
Hell yea.

I'm a toe striker I think it's called. I stand on my tippytoes a lot and they are the first thing to hit the pavement.. which gives me sort of a weird "bounce" run but otherwise lol my running is fine