Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I was discussing horses with a South African woman who very patiently explained her "little tiny kidney bean shaped saddle" that used in a type of riding called "English".

I let her finish, and then informed her that I had been riding English my entire life and showed my horse in hunters and equitation over fences. She said, "Oh, I just thought you all rode Western and wore cowboy hats."

YEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAWWWWW! LOL

Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yeah I don't get the big deal either. If we are going to complain about people referring to the continent instead of the country why not complain about people referring to the country instead of the exact city... or street... or building number.

when someone has said to me "I'm going down to the states this weekend" it prompts me to say "Oh yeah? where abouts?" and then they tell me where and then I say "oh cool... what are you planning to do there" and we have a conversation. rather than "hey this weekend I am going to hershey pennsylvania and we are going to go to Hershey park and do some shopping." and then I say "oh ... fun. have a good time" and that's the end of what could have been a conversation lol.

it's just a good conversation starter

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Aren't you Canadian?
Yes, I'm still in North America LOL (that's what I meant by being referred to as American, people will lump US/Canada/Mexico as "America" without specifying which continent-- north or south)

Wait, we aren't just places with McDonalds?! I pass like 4 of them on my 10 minute ride home...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Yes, I'm still in North America LOL (that's what I meant by being referred to as American, people will lump US/Canada/Mexico as "America" without specifying which continent-- north or south)

Wait, we aren't just places with McDonalds?! I pass like 4 of them on my 10 minute ride home...
No... you also have Tim Hortons lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Yeah I don't get the big deal either. If we are going to complain about people referring to the continent instead of the country why not complain about people referring to the country instead of the exact city... or street... or building number.

when someone has said to me "I'm going down to the states this weekend" it prompts me to say "Oh yeah? where abouts?" and then they tell me where and then I say "oh cool... what are you planning to do there" and we have a conversation. rather than "hey this weekend I am going to hershey pennsylvania and we are going to go to Hershey park and do some shopping." and then I say "oh ... fun. have a good time" and that's the end of what could have been a conversation lol.

it's just a good conversation starter
Come on now... We all know you're Canadian, and we all know you know Ted in Toronto.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
In your other half's defense, pretty much every where you go here, you can find McDonald's

That's why all Americans are fat. We also all have guns and drive pickup trucks
Oh god, don't tell him that, it'll set back all my hard work!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping to take him over one day, but he has very fixed ideas on the place. But he has grown up in Wales (they're a backwards race, very sheltered... don't really understand the world lol Traffic lights freak him out I do tell him everything i post about him by the way LOL).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Obviously you need to bring him to Quebec. Traffic lights don't exist (or that's how the drivers act)

Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Come on now... We all know you're Canadian, and we all know you know Ted in Toronto.
Of course... he's my second cousins uncles brothers best friends friend of a friends son in law

G.K. Chesterton

Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Resident fainting goat

I say Europe lol but only before I explain further.. like I said things like "Oh this summer I went to Eurotrip! I did Paris, London, Edinburgh etc.."

but yea I've also heard people here in London tell me "Oh I went to the US last year! I went to New york and Miami!"

I think as long as you qualify the term with the specifics after, you are fine in my book.

but yea, I also hate hearing "Oh we went to Europe, it was so great! We love Europe!"

I also hate "Oh god I love England! I was in London for 2 days and loved it there!" lol so now London represents ALL of England? haha
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Top Dog

Both times I've been to Europe I visited multiple countries since they're all so small. It was easier to say "I'm headed to Europe for vacation this summer" and then only go into details when asked. Saying, "I'm going to Denmark, Germany, Russia, Finland, and Sweden" just sounds pompous.

There are things that are fairly ubiquitous around Europe though, in all the countries I've visited (the Baltics and the Med regions). Public transportation is wide spread, prices are more expensive than in the US, bathrooms are called "W.C's", etc. So every once in a while it's accurate to make a statement about "Europe" without really having to restrict the country.