Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Top Dog

Salads are great; I do half mixed greens, half spinach, with balsamic vinaigrette, tomatoes, red bell pepper, carrot slices, cucumber, pumpkin seeds, bacon, pepperoni, egg, chicken, croutons... not all at once, lol, but I mix all that together. Really good.

I also throw veggies into whatever I'm making; hamburger helper? Frozen peas and corn. It's not the best thing for you by a longshot, but at least it makes me feel better, lol.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

I'm not sure how 'easy' you want, but seeing as I cannot cook to save my life (and am a fellow college student without a meal plan), I'll tell you what I lived on last year.

Canned black beans + corn. This originally started as a legitimate, "simple" recipe intended for non-college student consumption; however, after many failed attempts to measure and mix the necessary ingredients, I put my hands up and simplified the recipe down to 2 staple ingredients. 1 can black beans + 2 cans corn. Mix and eat. If I'm feeling especially ambitious I'll place my 'salad' atop a bed of spinach and maybe top it with a bit of lemon juice.

Guacamole the easy way. Again, the idea of making guacamole appealed to me, but despite being labeled as an idiot proof recipe, the 20 minutes of meticulously cutting onions and other ingredients proved to require too long of an attention span. That said, I adore guacamole and on my college student budget cannot afford the $1.50 ready-made tablespoon sized dollops charged by every restaurant and grocery store in the metropolitan area. Now I just buy two avocados and 1 container of mild fresh salsa or pico de gallo and mix everything together with a spoon, until it resembles guacamole. It's actually pretty darn delicious and takes about 30 seconds.

tomato mozzarella salad (caprese salad) Cut tomato. Cut mozzerella cheese. Douse in balsalmic vinegrette. Sprinkle with basil. yummy!

pasta + tomato sauce I know, I know, you said no pasta recipes. But since inevitably if you're anything like me you will still regress to eating at least 3 pasta dinners per week, I may as well pass along my sauce tip. I buy a jar of tomato sauce and dump it in my blender. I then place spinach, onions, tomatos, carrots, or whatever else I can manage to dig out of my refrigerator drawer into the blender, close the lid and press start. With enough poking and prodding, eventually everything blends into an atrocious looking mess of a sauce that surprisingly tastes quite good. Be warned - if you add enough spinach, the result will look a bit like vomit. Close your eyes and eat it to reassure yourself that it's not.

fruit I lived on fruit. No joke. I would go to the grocery store and buy whatever I wanted and wash it/desticker it as soon as I got home. I'd put all the fruit in a giant bowl in the fridge so that when I was hungry all I had to do was grab it and eat it and wouldn't be tempted to eat junk food because it was "easy."

seaweed Know those Nori sheets that they sell in the international and Asian food aisles of grocery stores? They're intended for sushi I think. I They make quite good snack food because you can just grab a sheet, and tear off pieces to eat. A lot of people don't like the taste, but if you do, it's a great 'grab and go' kind of snack.

hummus This was definitely the most sophisticated thing that I learned to reliably make last year. Again with the being a broke college student and not being able to afford the ready made stuff, I'd make it myself. You just need a blender. I can't remember the recipe off the top of my head, but it's not hard at all and the stuff will last for a while. I eat it with carrots instead of chips so it's healthier. I do know that it called for ground sesame seeds which I replaced with a large spoonful of peanut butter instead. Still tastes awesome, but peanut butter is cheap!

plain green salad Spinach, bell peppers, tomatos, carrots, mushrooms, etc. Even if you're not a fan of veggies, find a good, lowfat dressing and the salad will start to feel more like a vector for the dressing than anything else!

sweet potato fries These, so far as I know, do require an oven, but they're not hard. Maybe you could improvise and find some other way to cook them? You just take sweet potatoes, cut them up into fry looking chunks, douse them in olive oil, add salt and pepper and bake. I think I'd do mine at 425 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, then flip them over and cook them on the other side for ~10 min. They're amazing and better for you than regular fries.

stir fry If you're not feeling ambitious, you can use frozen stir fry mix veggies. I'd always add tofu as well, though you could do chicken or really any kind of meat. Put it on a stovetop on low-medium heat. When everything is cooked, add some sort of teriyaki sauce and eat!

yogurt parfait Easy and tastes like dessert! I used to buy these premade all the time until I realized the sugar content. Now I make my own. I either use greek vanilla yogurt or plain normal yogurt + some flavor of jelly. Add frozen fruit of your choosing to the yogurt and mix. Raspberries are my favorite. Top it with granola. Delicious! Plus, greek yogurt has a ton of protein too!

green smoothies Add fruit, juice, milk, yogurt... whatever you want. But when you're done, add some leafy greens too! If you're worried about the green color, add blueberries to the smoothie and the purple color will "hide" the greens.

yep, I think that's about it. I also used to eat mushrooms straight from the can, but if you're not a veggie fan, you might not appreciate that. Hope I gave you some ideas. I promise, none of these things are hard! I did set my stove on fire once attempting to cook pasta (don't even ask), but if you can handle boiling water (apparently I cannot ), you should be safe!

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

You sound a lot like me as far as your tastes. I hate cooked veggies, but love them raw!

My favorite, super easy summer salad is whole wheat pasta cooked and cooled. I mix in cut up baby carrots, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, pepperoni, bits of egg or cheese - basically whatever I have that I want to get rid of. Mix it with your favorite Italian dressing (or probably any other vinegar/oil based dressing), and you are done! I frequently make a good sized bowl of it on Sundays and it is a super easy lunch for the week.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I like making my "curry" It's super easy.

I buy frozen veggies with cream (though I'm not sure if it's available in US. Judging by your frozen food section... it should be.) or just frozen veggies and add my own cream (or coconut milk). You can use fresh veggies too, I just find that it's much easier with frozen esp. if you have a single household.

Anyways, I put my frozen veggies in a pan let them defrost for a bit, then add some curry ( I like green, but you can use any.). At the same time I have rice in my rice cooker.
Let veggies and curry cook a bit together, and once hot, you're done. Dinner in about 10-15 minutes (if you don't cook the rice).
If you're feeling crazy (or need protien) you can add an egg in the beginning.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

College kid here too...maybe we can swap recipes haha:

Omelets
I know you said you don't like cooked veggies, but if you wait until the egg is almost completely cooked through and then add them in, omelets are super easy way to get some extra vitamins. I usually load mine with cheese too (sorry I know you said healthy...but it tastes so darn good!).

Chili
This is real easy with a crockpot or a stovetop or whatever. I use beef and just spice the heck out of it and add corn, black beans, and serve the whole thing over multigrain rice.

Also, it might be worth experimenting with new veggies too. I recently discovered that I really like some more obscure foods (sorry I don't know their names in English!) that I wasn't familiar with before.

I will probably be back later with more butttt suddenly I'm drawing a blank.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart