Indoor herb/vegetable/flower gardens.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Doing some research to see if I could possibly start a little garden (I'd mostly like to do herbs, maybe some veggies, though space is very limited) in my apartment and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

TIA :)

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Interested in something like this myself - I'd love to try some container veggie/herb gardening. Right now, we just have a big pot of herbs on our front porch. LOL

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I see a lot of really cool little pots and stuff on pininterest that are adorable, and I figure I would save money because fresh herbs are pretty expensive it seems like.

Like this:

cuute!!

My main issue is that I have very limited window space. 5 windows total, 2 are over our bed and three are in the living room behind chairs. And right now Benjamin, our sole plant, is on an end table by the chairs.

And herbs need real light...right? lol

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I looked at the AeroGrows, but I think I'd rather start with just some pots and stuff to make sure I want to keep growing them and that I'm going to use the stuff I grow before shelling out money for an AeroGrow.

LindaJD

I started growing herbs on my window sills about 2 years ago. They grew really good, until the cats knocked them all off the sill while I was at work one day. No biggie, I hate cooking and they probable would have gone to waste anyway.

lizzybeth727

I'm growing a few herbs on my porch this summer, hoping to move them inside for the winter and continue growing them (if they don't die from the heat, that is :rolleyes:). But my house has no shortage of windows, so I'm hoping they'll do well.

Can't give you much advice, though, I just bought some herbs from the grocery store and put them in a pot, LOL.

Gypsydals

They do need real light yet they don't. They don't have to have direct like such as right in a window sill, but in a brightly lighted room you should be fine. If not a brightly lit room, just get a grow light. I got one of those clip on desk lights and a light bulb for growing things.

Right now I have in my window only be cause I finally have a window sill to put them in 3 different kinds of basil, oregano, and rosemary. Out side in a big pot (which come winter I will move indoors is 2 different kinds of rosemary and a basil plant. And a really really big and overgrown pot are my chives. Which I want to take a chunk out of and move indoors. I also have cilantro seeds I want to plant. When winter hits, I will move them all out of the window and put them on a stand near the window.

Veggies are a little harder to grow indoors but apparently can be done. I haven't tried it yet. But I did find out I can over winter tomato suckers/plants for next year. I can't wait to try. LOL

GipsyQueen

I had herbs on my windowsill at the old apartment. I did end up chucking them, because I didn't want to move them, and they were getting to that point where they weren't worth moving.

I usually have basil or something all year round and switch it up during the summer.

I buy seeds and grow them - it's kindof fun seeing them go from a tiny seed to yummy herbs.

ACooper

Do you have/are you planning on growing them in a south-west facing window? Here at my house, they do wonderful on that side and DIE anywhere else :( Other than that, I'd say GO FOR IT! Herbs are a breeze as long as you keep them watered and clip the ready parts even if you aren't going to use them.

I have basil, dill, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, and mint planted in hanging baskets/containers on the porch and all are doing fabulous! Also, I am overloaded with tomatoes right now, and I grew them in buckets! (albeit outside, but still containers! LOL)

I want one of these kind of containers at the moment! I think they are neat for herbs! :D

Members online

No members online now.