Car suggestions

Saeleofu

I've decided that once my Caliber is fixed, I'm selling it. I adore it, but it's EXPENSIVE and I can't afford to fix it, even little things, with such a hefty payment every month.

So, I'm in the market for a cheap car that is reliable and preferably dog-friendly. That said, I can manage with a coupe if I need to, but I'd rather have a sedan or a wagon, or even a mini van. I really want a wagon of some sort for the extra space, though I do miss the trunk of a sedan. I'm pretty much over this whole hatchback thing, though I'm not ruling them out.

Anyway, what are some cars to look for? I've found a couple Focuses for a decent price, and my trainer has a Saturn sedan of some sort that I'm seriously considering. I just don't even know what sort of cars to look for. I'm NOT getting another Dodge, period. I don't want another Sable either and because of that am hesitant to get another Taurus, though I really did like my '05 that got squished. I've heard Hondas and Toyotas are hard to kill, but I don't even know what models to start searching for.

Ideally it will be under $800, but my brother is willing to loan me some money and pay him back over time if I need to, so in reality under $1500.

Halp? If I could fit a folded 48" crate in the trunk or cargo area and still have room for dogs in the car, that would be fantastic. The only reason I'm considering minivans is because of the ease of hauling crates and other assorted dog show crap.

Kilter

I loved our ford focus, but with a kid and dogs, it wasn't enough space. If we had toy dogs it'd be fine, but it didn't fit anything over 2 300 crates.

Dodge caravan now....

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Will you be able to sell the Caliber for enough money to pay off the loan? If you bought the car from a dealership, chances are is that the car loan is actually higher than the car is worth (dealer fees, sales tax, etc). I'd check into that first just to make sure you can get out of the car loan!

Personally, if you're looking for a car under $1500, I'd try to stick with Honda, Toyota, or Nissan.

Honda's minivan is the Odyssey. The Honda Civic also comes as a hatchback in the early-mid 90s.

Not sure where in OK you are, but I took a quick look on Autotrader and found this:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...00&makeCode3=TOYOTA&listingId=326904617&Log=0

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I'm with Jessie - if your budget is that tight, you'll be looking at older vehicles and higher mileage options and that's where the imports shine. I'd also add Subaru to the Honda/Toyota/Nissan list.

In my research for Four Paw Drive, I've found that vans really do have the best cargo space flexibility. Of course, I personally hate vans, but that's a purely cosmetic thing. LOL

My '99 Impreza has 203,500+ miles on it and is still running great. It's a hatchback, but very functional - I fit two 36" crates *assembled* plus a 30" wire and a 36" soft crate folded, an ez-up tent, folding chair, dog gear for 3 dogs for a 3 day weekend, my stuff for a 3 day weekend, and tooons of other little things in it. Adding a wire crate strapped to the roof rack and I was able to take all four of my dogs to a dog trial this weekend without having to sacrifice anything! o_O Oh and I routinely get about 28mpg! If I wasn't outgrowing the vehicle I'd be keeping it, but we'll be upgrading to a larger SUV/crossover this year hopefully.

I'll also be putting up the review of my parents' 2000 Subaru Outback (wagon) up on Four Paw Drive this week. It has even MORE flexibility than my car. :)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'm with Jessie - if your budget is that tight, you'll be looking at older vehicles and higher mileage options and that's where the imports shine. I'd also add Subaru to the Honda/Toyota/Nissan list.

In my research for Four Paw Drive, I've found that vans really do have the best cargo space flexibility. Of course, I personally hate vans, but that's a purely cosmetic thing. LOL

My '99 Impreza has 203,500+ miles on it and is still running great. It's a hatchback, but very functional - I fit two 36" crates *assembled* plus a 30" wire and a 36" soft crate folded, an ez-up tent, folding chair, dog gear for 3 dogs for a 3 day weekend, my stuff for a 3 day weekend, and tooons of other little things in it. Adding a wire crate strapped to the roof rack and I was able to take all four of my dogs to a dog trial this weekend without having to sacrifice anything! o_O Oh and I routinely get about 28mpg! If I wasn't outgrowing the vehicle I'd be keeping it, but we'll be upgrading to a larger SUV/crossover this year hopefully.

I'll also be putting up the review of my parents' 2000 Subaru Outback (wagon) up on Four Paw Drive this week. It has even MORE flexibility than my car. :)
I always forget about Subaru, simply because they aren't very popular in FL! When I lived in New England, it seemed like everyone had them!

They're definitely great cars! Ian always says if we move up north he wants a WRX.

Saeleofu

Will you be able to sell the Caliber for enough money to pay off the loan? If you bought the car from a dealership, chances are is that the car loan is actually higher than the car is worth (dealer fees, sales tax, etc). I'd check into that first just to make sure you can get out of the car loan!
Bluebook for my car is $8500, and I have $7500 left on the loan (after 3 1/2 years, I've only paid off less than HALF >.<). As long as I have under $1000 left after paying off the loan with whatever I sell my car for, they will finance any remaining balance for me. So although I'd be THRILLED to get it sold for $8000+ I am flexible, and $6500 is not unreasonable at all for this car. Aside from the alternator or whatever (which will be fixed) and some cosmetic damage, it's in great condition. My other option is to give it back to the bank, let them auction it off for whatever they can get, and pay whatever may be left on the loan when they're done. Considering it does have some hail damage, I think I can sell it for significantly more on my own.

My bank is also awesome because they're letting me skip this month's payment so I can get my car fixed.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
If you like the ford focus look at the Hyundai i30. I have one :) I am about to trade it in for a 1.6 Diesel (and chip it) because it's MUCH better MPG.

I've had mine since new, and it's been great. Drives well, corners well and the boot is big enough for 2 dogs (and the seats go flat if needs be).

And the reason I am suggesting?? You get TONS for your money, they're really good value cars. Get all the bells and whistles on the basic models. And they seem to retain their value really really well (here at least). They are MUCH cheaper than their rivals of a similar spec.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
the i30 is the Elantra Touring here in the US, Sael. The link you posted is an *Infinity* ;)

Saeleofu

the i30 is the Elantra Touring here in the US, Sael. The link you posted is an *Infinity* ;)
AH, I see! In that case, there are none :( The actual thing is pretty cool looking, though (and yes, I was thinking the same thing "Well, it's sorta ugly, but whatever, as long as it runs well..." lol).

Outback - http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3135039765.html
I like it, but this one's way out of my range for now. I will be keeping an eye out for cheaper ones, though.

Civics are one of the most popular cars to mod around here, so most of the ones available are expensive because they're all modded out, or cheap because it's just a shell and no engine or anything. I did find this - not a looker, but again, as long as it runs well! http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3182877280.html

The other thing I need to remember is that even if the car has small problems, I'll have around $300 a month to fix it with if I really need to. I am so excited to not have a car payment soon. I might be able to finally get Logan into herding!

Members online

No members online now.