Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Top Dog

I also would not have been very polite. The mere sight of an animal should not reduce you to smacking at it, even if you're frightened. It's going to be a very sad life for her if this is how she plans on reacting life long to a very commonly seen animal
Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I also would not have been very polite. The mere sight of an animal should not reduce you to smacking at it, even if you're frightened. It's going to be a very sad life for her if this is how she plans on reacting life long to a very commonly seen animal
Not saying that she was right at all, but it wasn't the mere sight. The dog went up and sniffed her, or that's how I understood it at least.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

Eevee sniffed her as we walked past, yes.

Eevee
13-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 08-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazwell View Post
I would have told the lady to keep her dog aggressive daughter on a leash and muzzle when out in public.
FTW.

You were seriously nicer than I probably would have been . . . and Blake??? WTF??? Just so wrong.

Sounds like a teenage drama queen wanting attention.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Top Dog

I think you handled it best you could in such a new situation, I can say that I don't think I would have been as nice, I'm quite a blunt person when it comes to my dogs.

Quote:
I would have told the lady to keep her dog aggressive daughter on a leash and muzzle when out in public.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Mutts to you

I would have been a lot more blunt, especially with a kid who should be old enough to have SOME self control.

I'd expect (and have seen) little kids - 3 to 5 yrs. old - react like that and the one who did that with my dogs actually stood still and listened when I asked her to stop jumping around and squealing.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
For the win.

I don't think you were harsh at all. You told her what can happen with some dogs when acting like that around them. I think I would have said something similar. You had to interrupt that and you tried to educate. People can be really strange about animals.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 AM
My dog tickles my soul

I think what you said was perfectly reasonable. Harsh? Maybe. But that doesn't make it not the truth. And quite frankly, there are much, much harsher ways you could have conveyed your message. (Personally, I probably would have been tempted to take off my own shoes at that girl. "Seriously, how would YOU feel if you were window shopping at the mall and then were threatened/assaulted simply for getting too close to another shopper? IS THIS FUN FOR YOU???")

While I can't relate to fear of dogs, I can respect that... but there is a HUGE difference between removing yourself from the situation, or asking the dog to be removed, and ATTACKING the animal you're afraid of.

My husband has long said that stupidity should hurt. Perhaps now I'm being harsh, but this seems like a stellar example that may actually apply in the future. That kind of stupidity will in all likelihood get her hurt. It's not that I'm wishing ill upon anyone, but if she honestly thinks that is acceptable behavior... well... life will teach her soon enough.

ETA: TL;DR

I would have been pissed if anybody did that to Morgan, and they would have gotten much, much worse than a short earful.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

If its a real deep fear, she probably could not control her reaction. However, since her mother was right there I would have expected her to step in and try to help.

I do not think you were harsh, you spoke the truth and a lot nicer than many others would have.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Twin 2

I hope this was a wake up call to her mother and her that while she may be very afraid and that's her first reaction she CAN"T do that. Not only is it not ok to hit someone eleses dog because you are afraid but she'll end up bitten or scratched.

She's old enough someone should have been working with her on how to deal with her fear or she should have been able to step back and try and control herself. And if nothing else her mother should have grabbed and stopped her.

ETA: And I think you were just the right amount of harsh. Coddling her or acting like you were int he wrong with your dogs would do no help. She and her mother have to get a handle on her fear or at least teach her how to react correctly.