Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Slowly but surely......

Default Best way to teach a puppy the cat is not a toy or playmate.

Title says it all.

Our new puppy Charlie, which I think narrowed him down to a Black Mouth Curr/Lab mix, is quite brave and not easily deterred by our 4 year old cat. He occasionally likes to chase, corner and then "play" with her.

Obviously our cat doesn't see this as fun, so she swats at him, maybe a warning hiss. Meanwhile Charlie seems to think the swatting is hissing is even more entertaining, so he swats back, and barks.

Sadie was quite easy to train with this problem. She didn't like being clawed in the face and immediately learned, messing with the cat was a bad idea. Charlie on the other hand thinks it's a fun game. "no" and "leave it" are suddenly no longer heard.

How can I nip this problem while he's still young? He's growing fast and I'm afraid he may end up hurting our cat some day.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Leash him to you, so you doesn't have a chance to chase the cat, and start rewarding when doesn't pay attention to the cat when he can see it (start when he's not pulling at the leash to get it, then gradually move to laying/sitting with the cat in sight, then gradually move to ignoring the cat).

Chasing the cat is self-rewarding to him, so the only way you'll get him to stop is by not allowing him the chance to do it

Also, have a room blocked off with a baby gate or the like, so the cat can get in it but he can't so the cat always has a way to get away.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Top Dog

Tucker does this. As a puppy one of my cats could literally not touch the floor without Tucker being on top of him. While it still happens on occasion the frequency is much less and if you tell him to stop he does. We would simply stop him EVERY time, say "cut it out" "leave him alone" or some other verbal cue that he needs to stop and then body block or put a slip lead on him and remove him from the cat. If he's the persistent type remove to the bathroom or something for a time out.

But you MUST be more persistent than the dog, or else you'll fail.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Slowly but surely......

Thank you guys. I will keep the leash on hand so the next time I see him start ill be prepared and let my fiance know the same thing.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

Also wanted to throw in there to make sure YOU are giving the dog adequate play time. Lots of tug, chase, ball playing, etc. so that all of that playful energy can be released in an appropriate manner. When you see he's looking restless play with him before he starts going for the cats. It may also help to have some sort of cool down time after play time so you don't just say "all done" and walk off with him all riled and looking for more, then kitty's gonna get it.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Slowly but surely......

He gets plenty of play most days, but lately its been raining so much that after he gets his afternoon nap out he's all ready to go and can't go outside because its nearly flooding. He doesn't play tug very well, so I've posted over in the puppy forum about inside games I can use to channel his energy into something more productive.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I've always taken my dog outside even if it's raining. Your dog won't melt in the rain heck, we even had to take her out in the ice storm

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13