Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Default Metacam help?

Ok so when we took Rosey to the emerg vet on Monday, we got sent home with Metacam.

Rosey weighed in at something like 19.2kg. The vet was saying that she's close enough to 20kg to use that dose, but because she's older, he decided on a lower dose. Essentially, he sent us home with instructions to give her 15 units (I have no idea what these "units" are... I think it's basil ly the dose for a 15kg dog?) once a day for 5 days. He said after that we *could* extend that if needed.

Well, her last dose was Friday. Today, she was obviously sore (though nowhere near what she was) and didn't really want to stand unless necessary, again.

If she's still sore tomorrow, would it be safe to go ahead and just give her another dose? I'd really rather avoid the emerg vet fee again just to know if I can redose her, and also just realized its a holiday on Monday so my normal vet won't be open until Tuesday.

If there's any reason to be super concerned about giving her an extra dose without seeing a vet, she'll likely just take it easy til then... It really doesn't warrant an emergency visit. She's not helping in pain (and she is a drama queen), I just can tell she's a little sore.

She's going in for a follow-up with my vet regardless when I can get her in, anyway. I know it is an NSAID and can have bad effects on her kidneys, but, well, she's nearly 16, and the bad effects are usually over the long-term usage.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Top Dog

If you have the correct dose, then I'd not be worried about dosing her again. It's a commonly used long-term med for pain control.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 AM
overdogged

Yeah, I'd give it for sure. If she's going to stay on it, she should have bloodwork done to make sure her body is tolerating it, but for today, her comfort depends on it, and I would give it.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

Yep, it's usually spaced out to an as needed basis, but I know of numerous dogs on a daily dose for long term pain control.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Awesome, thanks guys!

I dosed her and she seems to be happier. I figured it wouldn't be an issue, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13